Please evaluate my layout - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!

Old 03-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #21
jlc41
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Okay, I finally got the flex track down and snapped some pics. I have not soldered all the joints and I have not cut and fit all the track yet. You will see where I have over laid the track in some places so you folks can see where am heading. Open to suggestions. Now I have to see where do I put the insulated joiners now that I will be running DCC, again open to suggestions. Also note, all the white styra foam marked with an X will be removed, they are the remnants of the EZ track that I Abandoned. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0421.jpg (152.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0422.jpg (148.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0423.jpg (162.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0424.jpg (149.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0426.jpg (131.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0425.jpg (141.8 KB, 45 views)
jlc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #22
HOMatt
Brakeman

I like that MUCH better then when I saw it!! Even the lower elevation fits the layout better.
Good work Joe!
Matt
HOMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #23
jlc41
Engineer

Thanks Matt. How are you coming along with yours?
Joe

Old 04-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #24
jlc41
Engineer

Okay guys, I would like your opinions on my town's buildings layout. Am thinking a park in the center of town. Maybe a church in the middle or offset. The area on the left in front of the train station and to the right of will be station parking. To the bottom will be a stone quarry. The truck is at the entrance of the quarry. Am thinking a service road (indicated by pieces of wood etc.) on the right side along the tracks. This road would be joined by the Main street from town continue over the river to the Gravel company, engine house and yard facilities. My town might need more buildings. Not sure what type or how many. That's where you guys come in. See attached pic's. Train Village #1.jpg

Train Village #2.jpg

Train Village #3 Church centered in park.jpg

Train Village #4 Chruch off set from park.jpgThanks in advance for your help.
Joe

Last edited by jlc41; 04-03-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #25
jlc41
Engineer

After sleeping on the layout plan, I exchanged locations with the upper left hand building next to the barber shop and the building on the lower right side. I think I should include a fire station on the left bottom near the spur. Also I would like to drop in a bait shop / pier on the back side of the left side buildings. Am going to need some more vehicles. I take some more pic's later today. Thanks again.
Joe
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #26
HOMatt
Brakeman

I like the idea of the park as the center square of a town. The Church off to the side would be my placement. Good idea of the Fire house and bait shop.
HOMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #27
DonR
Train Master

Looking good.

One suggestion. Try to locate your passenger station
on a straight section. On a curve, passenger cars
tend to over hang the track.

Don
DonR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #28
CTValleyRR
Train Master

I have two observations.

1) More isn't necessarily better. For my money, I would make what you have look good rather than trying to add even more structures.

2) Watch the width of your streets. Prototype streets (at least, those that don't predate cars) have 13' lanes, and sometimes 8' parking areas. A little compression is fine, but make them too narrow and it will look funny.

You can also look at Hokie's threads in My Layout and Layout Design areas. He was wrestling with similar issues.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #29
Cycleops
Station Master

Rather than a park wouldn't that area be the church grounds with graveyard? Make sure there's room for parking.
Cycleops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #30
jlc41
Engineer

Thanks DonR, CTV and Cycleops, good things to consider I knew I could count on you guys.
Matt, am having a heck of a time trying to locate a fire house and bait shop. Walthers has a nice fire house but it won't be available till May. i'll keep looking, maybe someone will point me in the right direction. Well, back to work on the railroad. Btw, how are you doing with yours?
Joe