Model Train Forum banner

Lionel clockwork motor parts

5K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Vic Panza 
#1 ·
Greeting:

I am relatively new to this forum and discovered that there are a few other folks in the country interested in the repair of Lionel (and other) clockwork motors.

Some years ago, I owned a company that made toy train tools and parts and had some parts made for repair for my 1588 motor. I have since discovered that many of the Lionel clockwork motors use these same parts.

To date, I have disassembled an 1103 handcar, 1511 and 1588 motors. I have documented that the inner "clutch hub" and "clutch spring" are the same in these three motors. I am acquiring other motors to confirm that these two parts are the same in other motors (BTW, would appreciate any help with old motors you may have to determine if these parts are compatible).

Please see the attached pictures that I took from the 1588, but please note these these two parts fit all the clockwork motors I have disassembled.

The purpose for my email is twofold. I am having more of these parts made, and to get a reasonable price, I need to make at least 200 of each. I was wondering if anyone may be interested in these parts, as I'd be delighted to provide a supply. Should have my pricing finalized in about a week.

Also, I am looking for other motors (I have the 1103, 1511 & 1588) to disassemble and document various parts. I WILL RESTORE YOUR MOTORS AT NO CHARGE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THEM FOR DOCUMENTATION. When I restore these motors, I drill and tap the bearing posts (the small steel posts that hold the side plates [bearing plates] together). I then use a 2-56 screw to hold them together, and make future service easier. I also tumble polish the parts so these things come out looking new.

Finally, I am also making the die cast whistle drive gear for the 1511 and 1588 and may make the whistle actuator levers for the 1588 and 1511.

Will appreciate any feedback and or suggestions. Always interested in any old parts that may be of use with these motors. And, if by chance, anyone else has already made these parts, please let me know.

Thanks
Vic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Vic, The 1508 clockwork is the same as the 1511, except it has a Bell, in place of the whistle. I presently have two motors that need repairs. One is is still together, but appears to have a broken Clutch Hub, where the motor won’t lock in the wind up position. The other motor is in pieces, and well beyond my skills to put it back together. I would be interested in having them repaired, if the price is reasonable. I’d like more info, if possible. Thank you.

#6 ·
Good morning. Sorry for the delay as I was traveling, and just in. Happy to help you out on your motors. Do you know if all the parts are there for the disassembled unit? Is there a method for a private message on the forum. Like to chat real-time and your needs, etc.

Also, I found springs that fit these motors from TimeSavers, a clock spring supplier. I have been measuring and matching up the springs in the motors I am disassembling.

Thx

#7 ·
HI, welcome to the site.
There is a 10 post minimum before you see the PM feature.
I think it is 10 post.

#8 ·
Hi Vic,

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you onboard, especially with your interest and knowledge of windup motors.

I've restored several Lionel/Ives 1930 locos, but my work has been focused on the shells and trim. I've been frustrated with the difficulty of getting "inside the guts" of the windup motors themselves, and have resorted to simply putting a non-functioning motor back in an otherwise gleaming shell.

It would be nice to have more knowledge and/or a source of repairing these motors. Let's chat!

To (perhaps?) answer your question about clutch springs, I'm showing two of my motors below, each with different clutch spring setups. The first motor is out of a 1506M, and shares the same clutch spring as your original post/photos, I believe. The second motor is out of a Lionel/Ives 1501 loco (ca. 1931, I believe). It's just the inner guts of the motor, with much missing. However, it looks to me like there's a COIL clutch spring in this motor, rather than the plate-disc style spring you show in your photos.

I hope that helps a bit.

Regards,

TJ

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the info. I just acquired a 1506L and see that other type of clutch drive. I am trying to document these variations, and am getting some more inventory of the clutch hubs and flat clutch springs made.

I need about a half dozen for myself, and assume a few others out there could use a few. Also dealing with missing whistle actuator levers and compound whistle drive gears.

One thing I discovered (from a brother who restored clocks) is a handy tool that is used to wind clock springs. This is a Webber spring winding tool. It ratchets in both directions for winding, and unwinding springs. The metal "C" clamps are handy to keep the springs wound, but a ZIP tie also works well.

Attachments

#12 ·
#13 ·
Have no experience with the motor boats, but am game for just about anything. Need to pace myself a bit as I decided to go back to work (after a brief retirement) and getting busy.

Once I get squared away on the toy train motors and those parts, love to see what makes the boats go.

Thx

#17 ·
TJ, The listing on eBay is my listing, he is referring to. I have two 1511 motors that neither work. One is still intact, but I can see a broken part, which prevent the motor to ratchet into the wound up position. The other motor is entirely in pieces, but appears to be ALL there. From Vic’s posting, showing his reproduced parts, appear to be the weak link Of Lionel’s motors, causing the failures that we see in most of the motors, for sale. I need to take some photos of the motor that is in pieces, and see what Vic thinks. I would love to have two working motors, to install in the 1511 body. Believe it or not, I have three 1511 & 1516T bodies, needing motors. I have two broken motors, & here bodies, so I am selling off the extra. I would like to get the money I paid, for what I have listed, & I’m not budging on the price.:smilie_daumenpos:

#22 ·
Vic, You can contact me by PM, (Private Messaging), right here on the forum. I have been busy with other pressing matters, and haven’t intentionally ignored you. I need to pull the parts out, and take photos, of the motor that is completely disassembled, for one thing. The other motor has one broken part, which I will explain later. What tender are you looking for; 1516T, or a 1507T. I have an extra 1507T, repainted all red, which is similar body, but lacks the front Coupler.

#23 ·
Vic, To send a PM, to a recipient, next to a specific post, by that person, is their screen name. Click on that person’s screen name, and it gives you a short pull down menu. Chose “ Send a private message”, which changes screens. You need to give the message a Subject, at top of the PM. Then simply type your message and then send it.

#24 ·
I just bought a 1532 freight train with mickey mouse stoker in the box. It has the 1508 motor with the bell but it has an issue that winding seems like a broken spring. I have so far figured out how to remove the body from the motor and would love help rebuilding the motor. Thanks for any help.

#25 ·
Good afternoon:

It's been a while since I have last posted. Been rather distracted with old cars and construction projects. But, back in the shop and wanted to share a few things.

First, I have had a supply of "clutch spring" and "clutch hubs" made, and have used them to repair several clockwork motors. Not the easiest job in the world, but if you are handy, I am sure you can do it. I am trying to thin out the inventory, and would like to offer these to anyone who may need them. You might have noticed that I listed a set on eBay, and given their fee structure, had to ask a bit more then I liked.

In any event, I have the flat spring and the turned hub. The springs were water jet cut, and need to be cleaned up on the edge. I sue a wire wheel and it seems to work well. Then, the tips of the fingers need to be bent slightly to snap into the drive gear holes.

The hubs are turned from aluminum, and were rather pricy to make. Several steps to machine them for final assembly. The center hole is round, and needs to be filed square. I use a small square file and then press the shaft in, making a tight fit.

I have attached some pics of these parts and original parts for comparison. I DO NOT WANT TO REPAIR MOTORS THESE DAY as I just have to may other projects of my own to manage. Plus, it takes longer then one might think to make these repairs.

I have the parts available as follows:

1 set of spring and hub: $15
5 sets of spring and hub: $60.00
10 sets of spring and hub: $100

I also have some motors that are cleaned and ready to assemble. I will be getting them photographed soon and am interested in selling. These include a couple 1511's, 1588's and Peter rabbit hand car.

Please feel free to email or call me on my mobile: 412-956-2852

Vic Panza
Text Font Circle Symbol Number
Invertebrate Spiral Circle Snails and slugs Snail
Household hardware Metal Circle Number Symbol
Gear Circle Clutch part Bicycle drivetrain part Still life photography

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.