Another New Member - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
cogo
Hobo

Another New Member

Hello from Northeast Texas! Been lurking for a bit exploring the site. I have been interested in Model Railroading for a lot of years. Had begun to build a layout (HO) about 30 years ago. Got as far as benchwork, track laying and train running. Then career, family, etc kinda derailed me (pun intended). I feel sure that is a somewhat familiar story. Anyway, getting close to retirement and started wondering what the heck I was going to do with my time. Got up in the attic, dug out the boxes of locos, rolling stock, etc. and started looking at the old books, MR magazines and got the juices going again. Now I am planning a new layout and getting fired up.

Looks like a lot of great info here on this site along with a lot of experience. Looking forward to enjoying this hobby once again!

Mark
cogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Welcome to the forum Mark.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
Welcome to a great forum. Lots of info, so jump right in.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
cole226
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: 0 and 0n30
USA

welcome Mark.

Don't forget pictures once you get a couple posts on the forum.

tunkhannock viaduct
cole226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
DonR
Train Master

It's always great to welcome a new member.

Those 30 year old trains can bring back a lot of
good memories, but they are going to take some
effort to get them running smoothly.

The locos drive system should be cleaned of
old lube and new plastic friendly grease put in.
Time causes old lube to gel and impair the
drive.

Be sure to clean the loco wheels. An easy way is
to put a few drops of alcohol on a paper towel on
the track. Run the loco front wheels onto it. Hold
the loco in place run up the speed control and let
the wheels spin in the alcohol spot. Then
and put the rear wheels on the spot and repeat.

Most likely the track from that era was brass. It
will still work but the rail heads will likely have
a crust of corrosion that needs to be gone. Most
of us today, use nickle/silver track. It requires less
maintenance and offers excellent electrical conductivity.

Your locos will be DC but can easily be converted
to today's DCC system with the addition of inexpensive
decoders, maybe less than 20.00 each. Look for decoders
that can handle up to 2 amp motors. Those elderly
locos had less efficient motors that draw
more current than what are sold today.

Our members are always happy to help you in anyway
and are available to answer any questions you may have.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogo View Post
Hello from Northeast Texas! Been lurking for a bit exploring the site. I have been interested in Model Railroading for a lot of years. Had begun to build a layout (HO) about 30 years ago. Got as far as benchwork, track laying and train running. Then career, family, etc kinda derailed me (pun intended). I feel sure that is a somewhat familiar story. Anyway, getting close to retirement and started wondering what the heck I was going to do with my time. Got up in the attic, dug out the boxes of locos, rolling stock, etc. and started looking at the old books, MR magazines and got the juices going again. Now I am planning a new layout and getting fired up.

Looks like a lot of great info here on this site along with a lot of experience. Looking forward to enjoying this hobby once again!

Mark
cogo;

Welcome to the forum! We are a loose and friendly group here so feel free to jump in on any discussion thread that interests you. The hobby has changed a lot in 30 years, so you may have questions. That's fine, we'll be glad to answer them. To get you started, I'm attaching some files that I wrote for new modelers. I know you're not really new, but you may find some helpful info in them.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf

Improving Atlas turnouts pdf version.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf
Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
cogo
Hobo

Thanks folks for the warm welcome!

Don, thanks for the tips on tuning up the locos. Will definitely do that. I did notice my some of my old track had a greenish patina to them so figured they were brass. Some didn’t so I must have a mixture. Do plan to go to DCC, so my old DC controller will be for sale, lol. I had read that you can convert the locos to DCC, but wasn’t sure how to do that yet, so thanks for the tips. Good stuff!

Traction Fan, thanks for the links to the articles. Have not had a chance to read them yet, but plan to. You are right in that a lot has changed. I have a lot to learn and remember, lol, but looking forward to the journey.

Mark
Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
Welcome to the MTF.
Spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Don't sell that old DC power pack, re-purpose it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogo View Post
Thanks folks for the warm welcome!

Don, thanks for the tips on tuning up the locos. Will definitely do that. I did notice my some of my old track had a greenish patina to them so figured they were brass. Some didn’t so I must have a mixture. Do plan to go to DCC, so my old DC controller will be for sale, lol. I had read that you can convert the locos to DCC, but wasn’t sure how to do that yet, so thanks for the tips. Good stuff!

Traction Fan, thanks for the links to the articles. Have not had a chance to read them yet, but plan to. You are right in that a lot has changed. I have a lot to learn and remember, lol, but looking forward to the journey.

Mark

cogo;

I'd hang on to that DC power pack, rather than trying to sell it. First off, old DC packs are a drug on the market, and you won't get much for it. Secondly, you can still use it to power turnouts, structure lighting, and any other accessories you might have, or get. (Powered semaphores, crossing gates, and signals, for example.)

Going DCC is a wise choice. It greatly simplifies track wiring,(Basically two wires from the DCC controller to the track, no blocks, or toggle switches needed) DCC can also give you smoother operation at slow speeds (for switching) and it allows you to have sounds onboard your locomotives, if you choose to.

Yes it is possible to convert a DC locomotive to operate on DCC. This is done by installing a small circuit board, called a DCC decoder, inside the locomotive. However, all 30 year old locos may not be worth the cost, and effort, of installing decoders. Some early Athearn diesels had motors that drew a lot of current, which may exceed the amount of current some decoders can supply. There are re-motoring kits available for some of these old locos, with new, better quality, low-current motors, and sometimes flywheels. It depends on whether you love that particular locomotive enough to spend money and time, upgrading it.

An excellent book that explains a lot about DCC, including installing decoders, is "Basic DCC Wiring" by Mike Polsgrove. It is written as a beginner's guide to DCC, and covers all you will need to know in simple text, and many color photos. I highly recommend it. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books
When the time comes to actually buy a DCC system, I recommend the NCE Powercab system. It's easy to connect, (two wires) easy to program, and easy to use. The entire system is in one simple hand-held unit. It's the same system I use, and I like it a lot.

Yes, if your old track has turned green, it's brass rail track. While it can be cleaned off, and will still work, I don't recommend using it. In my opinion, you will get more choice of track configurations, and more long term operating satisfaction by using new nickle-silver flex track. The pdf. files I sent you explain the advantages of flex track, sectional track (like you have now) and roadbed track. When you have read the files you will be able to make your own informed choice of track type.

good luck,& have fun;

Traction Fan
Old 08-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
cogo
Hobo

Once again, thanks for all the great tips and information. I won't make any rash decisions on buying or selling anything until I get a solid plan together. I am really enjoying the reading and planning. So much info ... so little time. I really regret not getting back into this sooner, but I will try to make up for lost time.

Mark