Plaster Cloth - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
I've experimented with dipping paper towels in very thin Plaster of Paris solution. Carefully spread them over the area and paint on more POP with a brush. It was very rigid when it dried, and I saw no cracks. Cheaper than plaster cloth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
beepjuice
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: From O to HO now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Willis View Post
I use vinyl caulking or spackling paste, either diluted by using a very wet brush. No cracking. Often I let it dry fro about ten minutes and they use a wet sponge or folded paper towel to smooth its surface a bit.
Yes, this is what I did before. I like the vinyl because it spreads easily with a wet brush and dries firm and takes paint well. Thanks for all the ideas.
beepjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
Nikola
Dispatcher

I am poor. I use paper towels covered with a very thin and goopy mixture of drywall compound (spackle). No voids or pits left behind.
Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #14
MikeB
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Interesting thread, going to have to remember this one.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
beepjuice
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: From O to HO now
And the Winner is:

Dap Vinyl Spackling

Got a gallon for $17 at Lowes. Got a lot done but need a little more.

It dries nice and hard on the plaster cloth and just spreads on with a paint brush. Easy to paint and won't crack.
beepjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #16
AFGP9
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
I have used drywall seam sealer with excellent results. Also Woodland Scenics Sculptamold and have never had cracking. I over lapped the covering on the first layer then another single layer, then add the coating. Regarding the drywall seam sealer, it can be thinned with a LITTLE water too. Don't add too much water.
I forgot to mention that I use paper towels dipped in a very thin plaster mixture. Way back when I bought the Woodland Scenics plaster cloth. I soon learned that stuff doesn't go far on a large layout so I tried the paper towel and thinned plaster method. Much cheaper and it seems stronger.
By the way, you can add clothing dye to the water that you thin the mixture with for a nice effect. If you use a brown or a medium to dark green dye, ground cover becomes much easier. You can paint highlights on the dyed areas then add your ground cover.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
Also Woodland Scenics Sculptamold ....
Woodland Scenics doesn't sell Sculptamold. Theirs is lightweight hydrocal casting plaster or sculpting plaster. These products are OK, but for me, Sculptamold is the ultimate scenery material. Not as porous as plaster, but much sturdier and less exacting in the mixing proportions.

Sculptamold is a product of the American Art Clay Company, or AMACO. I buy it off Amazon in 25-pound bags.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
telltale
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N / HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola View Post
I am poor. I use paper towels covered with a very thin and goopy mixture of drywall compound (spackle). No voids or pits left behind.
Yeah. I never understood why everyone doesn't do that instead of the high priced version of basically the same thing.
Though I'm armchairing a long time now, when I do make hills, mountains I still use screen stapled to risers covered with plaster or spackle..Old old school but it works great..And 'dirt' cheap.
telltale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #19
NewTexan
Hobo

I have had good luck with grout
NewTexan is offline   Reply With Quote