Photo of the day!!! - Page 29 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #281
Sagas
Gang Labourer

Personally, I would start from scratch (too much to touch-up), strip the shell and repaint. In my experience no matter how you try to feather the edges they always seem to ghost through on the repaint. However there are others here who may have a workable technique. J.B.
Sagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #282
Sagas
Gang Labourer

Set #5515T

The set is complete except for the original carton which was damaged and thrown away by the original owner. It was also offered in the 54' catalogue as 5411T but with green New Haven cars. The Dinky Ford I just put there since it happened to be in the box (wondered what happened to it). J.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Set 5515T.jpg (264.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #283
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagas View Post
The set is complete except for the original carton which was damaged and thrown away by the original owner. It was also offered in the 54' catalogue as 5411T but with green New Haven cars. The Dinky Ford I just put there since it happened to be in the box (wondered what happened to it). J.B.
Great looking set. The 955 cars with the silhouettes are not common and not easy to find. The green cars didn't have silhouettes. It's always fun when you get a set and there are extras with it that the original owner had and kept with it.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #284
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Sagas, that is an absolutely beautiful set. However it is not a 5411T set; that set had a 287 engine w/o smoke and choo choo. It is also not a 5422T nor a 1954 version of the 5322T set. It is in fact a 5515T set. A complete boxed set would have the exact items you pictured plus a #1 1/2 transformer, a 706 uncoupler, 12 702 curve tracks, #40 smoke set, 12 track locks and a 690 track terminal.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #285
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Very nice set Sagas.

I was not going to try to touchup that 290. It needs a complete repaint.
Whats the best way to strip the shell. Sandblasted would be nice but you could never save the cab numbers.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:03 AM   #286
Sagas
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Sagas, that is an absolutely beautiful set. However it is not a 5411T set; that set had a 287 engine w/o smoke and choo choo. It is also not a 5422T nor a 1954 version of the 5322T set. It is in fact a 5515T set. A complete boxed set would have the exact items you pictured plus a #1 1/2 transformer, a 706 uncoupler, 12 702 curve tracks, #40 smoke set, 12 track locks and a 690 track terminal.
Tom, I do have the transformer, uncoupler, etc. Just didn't bother to put them out. Also didn't notice the 5411T had a 287 not a 283. Thanks, J.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Very nice set Sagas.

I was not going to try to touchup that 290. It needs a complete repaint.
Whats the best way to strip the shell. Sandblasted would be nice but you could never save the cab numbers.
Flyernut would most likely have the best advise since he seems to do a fair amount of repaints. There are also a few YouTube videos on the subject. I've never had to go that far, only some very minor touchups. J.B.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #287
flyernut
Yard Master

I sandblast the boiler shell and use a chemical stripper, brake fluid, or easy off oven cleaner on the tender shell. The tender chassis can withstand sandblasting, and I do sandblast it.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #288
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
flyernut and others

Sandblasting is certainly a good way to go but may I suggest using glass beads also? Looks just like white sand, does the same job but isn't as hard on metal as sand. I have used the glass beading method since my hot rod building days. In fact I have had the same blasting cabinet for years. I can regulate the air pressure so as to not damage softer metal. For whatever reason, the glass beading leaves the metal surface, well, glass smooth. In fact, it does something to the metal surface. I have left bare metal car items on my bench for days before painting and no sign of rust. Even in humid days. Since I am not a metallurgist, I have no idea why bare metal does not rust after glass beading. I have yet to find anything the glass beading method will not remove from metal.
And no painting isn't a problem with the surface being the way it is. Just prime and paint. Paint with primer in it works too.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #289
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
IMG_0555.JPG

A nice 940 Wabash hopper and caboose. I know, I know, hopper has 2 different trucks. Not sure what that is about, because I think it has knuckle couplers on both ends. Nice thing about the hoppers trucks are secured with screws and its easy to make a transition car. I have a couple. I can not see the caboose number real well. Looks like maybe a 906. If you can see it well let me know the number. For some reason I see many Wabash hoppers with faint lettering. This one is good.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #290
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
the caboose is a number 904, enlarging it did help quite a bit ...

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote