Photo of the day!!! - Page 34 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #331
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
flyernut

flyernut you are making me cry. I had '69 Nova SS, 396, 375 hp, 4 speed 4:11 gear. It was the RPO L78 version. Mine was a lighter blue but otherwise just like yours. Bench seats, rubber floor mats, and only power steering. No other options. Sorry I ever sold it. All told I have had 6 version of the ChevyII/Nova cars.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #332
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
Broke, that's a pretty cool action accessory.
Works good too.

Magic
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #333
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
flyernut you are making me cry. I had '69 Nova SS, 396, 375 hp, 4 speed 4:11 gear. It was the RPO L78 version. Mine was a lighter blue but otherwise just like yours. Bench seats, rubber floor mats, and only power steering. No other options. Sorry I ever sold it. All told I have had 6 version of the ChevyII/Nova cars.
I've had around 6-8 Nova's, since 1972. This one pictured was actually a light blue, with a blue bench seat and interior, probably the same light blue as yours.The wife wanted a darker blue so we painted it "black sapphire metallic", a stock GM color used on early 90's Buicks, Caddy's, and Chevy's..
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #334
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
IMG_0611.JPG

Big, Bad, and Bold. NYC 326 Hudson.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #335
shaker281
Conductor

From that angle it looks two feet long! Nice. It looks exceptionally clean.

I think I would enjoy one of those. Any advice what to look for?
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #336
mopac
Station Master

Shaker, I look for 2 things. Original paint that I like and that it runs good. When a seller
says untested, you can bet your last dollar it does not run. I have bought untested locomotives but I have to get them cheap.

I paid the load for this one. $149.00 plus shipping. But I was not disappointed when I unpacked it and
it runs and smokes like a champ. Oh, and I study the pictures to make sure it is complete. I have seen parts missing in pics and seller never mentioned the missing parts.

I like the angle of the shot also.

I almost bought one engine and then noticed the trailing wheels were missing. Seller never mentioned that. Be careful. Just for the trailing wheels can cost $30.00.

If seller says complete, original paint, runs great, reverse unit works properly, smokes good, then it probably does. Its what they don't say that I watch for.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #337
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
Buddy of mine had a beautiful yellow 1970 4-speed with black vinyl top. Bought it used off a Chevy lot. Everything said stock 307 about it, except it had what appeared to be a factory 4 barrel and some plain Jane slotted wheels. Damn thing broke into the 13's! No one, including the shop that eventually built up the motor, could ever figure out what was the deal with that car. If the drive train had been modified it was with 100% factory parts. And I do not think there was any record of 307 cars with 4 barrels. Even had a stock air cleaner.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #338
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Shaker, I look for 2 things. Original paint that I like and that it runs good. When a seller
says untested, you can bet your last dollar it does not run. I have bought untested locomotives but I have to get them cheap.

I paid the load for this one. $149.00 plus shipping. But I was not disappointed when I unpacked it and
it runs and smokes like a champ. Oh, and I study the pictures to make sure it is complete. I have seen parts missing in pics and seller never mentioned the missing parts.

I like the angle of the shot also.
Cool on the info. I agree that not running is a small issue, but poor appearance or missing parts is a biggie. What about the "large motor" thing? How big an issue is that?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #339
mopac
Station Master

I only have one big motor. Its in my 336 Northern. Nothing wrong with smaller motor.
I have 2 northerns, one big motor, one smaller motor. They both run good but maybe its in my head but I would rather have the large motor. A Hudson with large motor figure 200 or more for a nice one. I keep
looking for a large motor in anything that seller does not know and no one else sees it. LOL, has not happened yet.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #340
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
If I could have only one engine it would be a Hudson.