Photo of the day!!! - Page 40 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #391
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Tom, some people should not be allowed to posses a paint brush. The girder might have been painted also. It is still a girder.

Broke, I would still use these cars because I am not a rivet counter either.
The ATSF symbol in the upper left is a paper sticker. This was the picture side of the 803.
No symbol sticker on other side and for some reason the lettering not so strong.
I think most "runner" cars have a picture side.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #392
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Tom, some people should not be allowed to posses a paint brush. The girder might have been painted also. It is still a girder.

Broke, I would still use these cars because I am not a rivet counter either.
The ATSF symbol in the upper left is a paper sticker. This was the picture side of the 803.
No symbol sticker on other side and for some reason the lettering not so strong.
I bought some decal paper to use on my ink jet printer. I had hoped to create some custom logos but, to date, I have not tried. They are suppose to work good with some decal fixer and a light coat of clear paint. A project for a later day...
Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #393
mopac
Station Master

Broke, I have not used any decal paper either. I think it works well with some practice.
Like anything else. I remember as a kid doing decals on my plastic models such as planes.
They would always look fine for awhile and then they would dry out and curl away from the model.
That's where the clearcoat comes in. Keeps those decals down.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #394
Panther
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Broke, I have not used any decal paper either. I think it works well with some practice.
Like anything else. I remember as a kid doing decals on my plastic models such as planes.
They would always look fine for awhile and then they would dry out and curl away from the model.
That's where the clearcoat comes in. Keeps those decals down.
The decal problem was always an issue. Now the clearcoat after they dry fixes that. Actually I use a Semi Gloss, because real life is not glossy.

Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #395
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
They don't look too bad Al, maybe repaint the flat if it bothers you. But since they're runners, I wouldn't worry about them. The Santa Fe stickers are available if I remember correctly, if you wanted to replace them. The 803 isn't bad looking at all.
cramden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #396
mopac
Station Master

I use polyurethane in a spray can to incase things with a clearcoat. And like Panther said
Semi Gloss takes the shine off of it.

cramden, thanks, they are fine to run. In real life, cars are not perfect. They have scrapes on them.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #397
ebtnut
Conductor

The problem with inkjet printers and decal paper is that there is no "white" color. Computer printers are made with the assumption that the printing stock will primarily be white paper, so no need for a white cartridge. To do white with decal paper you need to paint the area of the decal white first, which will show through the blank areas where white would be on the decal. An outfit named "ALPS" once made a printer that did do colors like white and gold, but it was not an inkjet. They haven't been made for many years now.
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #398
cramden
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
Ready to shot down those pesky Russian, Chinese and North Korean rockets! Maybe even Lionel three rail but I might be able to pass on that. For a matter of fact, I will launch at any threat to my Ping Pong Table American Flyer Layout!
Nice one Fred, I'll have to post some pics of my oddball 969 later. But now you need to get one of these in case you miss with your shot!IMG_0006.JPG
Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #399
cramden
Dispatcher

Oddball 969

This is the odd 969 rocket launcher I picked up some time ago. I couldn't understand why someone would run the wires on the top of the deck instead of soldering them back to the bottom of the truck rivets, although the long wire goes down the proper hole but comes back up near the middle. When I went to change them I noticed no solder residue on the bottom of the rivets. Hmm... I still hadn't noticed that the tool box was yellow painted and not the normal Tuscon color. When I realized that, I looked for other examples of yellow boxes on 969's in books and on the net. Still haven't seen another like it. It's possible the factory was out of Tuscon boxes and substituted a yellow one. I find it hard to believe that the wire job got passed the inspectors at Gilbert, but who knows. Anyway, I decided to leave it as found rather than change the wiring. It does work, so a IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPGmystery for another day or person to solve.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #400
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Cramden, assuming that is original it is possible it did not make it past the inspectors. Things like this were sold at a steep discount to Gilbert employees at the Company store.