Photo of the day!!! - Page 43 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 08-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #421
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
The stamping on the box as I recall was at least eligible, maybe my eyesight is the problem, or my memory, or both! The Greenberg book I have lists the red painted over gray plastic, which is what this one is, but with type "D" trucks(3 spring). The newer truck on the left has a more defined side frame, but is also a 2 spring as is the one on the right. My wife gave up on requests for me to get the trains organized long ago. As long as stuff isn't piled up all over the bedrooms she puts up with me. Besides, when I rediscover something that I had forgotten about, its like Christmas or a birthday. A win win without spending any money.
cramden is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #422
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
The red painted 633 was made in both 1951 and 1952. I know of no way to determine the year.
The link coupler Gondolas are interesting. The three most common are the unpainted and the painted green 631 T&P along with unpainted red 641. The next most common is the 641 Frisco, 1953 only. This is one of the very few times Gilbert used the same number for 2 different cars. Getting to the more rare are the 620 Southern, 1953 and the red painted uncatalogued 631 T&P, 1951 only. The most rare are the uncatalogued 1948 gray unpainted plastic 631 T&P followed by the 1951 uncatalogued 641 gray unpainted AF.
I have no gray gondolas because all the examples I saw were missing at least one step.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #423
cramden
Dispatcher

No gray gondolas here for the same reason. Prices too high for damaged cars.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #424
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Never seen a red T&P gondola. Cool.

How do steps get broken.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #425
cramden
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Never seen a red T&P gondola. Cool.

How do steps get broken.
How does anything get broken, abuse, misuse, rough handling, the list goes on. Earlier gondolas had thin steps, later, the steps were made thicker. Here's a great site that shows the difference in the steps. 4th pic. down. Lots of pics. and information on this site, worth a look. https://thegilbertgallery.org/Freigh.../gondolas.html
Old 08-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #426
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Great link. I had forgotten about all those pictures.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:49 AM   #427
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
I've only seen a red or gray T&P 631 gondola in pictures and eBay. Never in person. Once upon a time I decided to try and collect every gondola variation I could find. As a result, I have found at least 5 variations of the green 631. Lettering location, font size, green color variations, painted and unpainted green to name a few. As the picture cramden posted shows, there is also a difference in the ends of these cars.
In my gondola buying frenzy back then I did bid on both a red and gray 631 on eBay but didn't like where the bidding was going. For what those 2 cars were selling for I want to see them up close and personal and in my hands. Both were over the $125 price and the auction had 3 days to go. I never did check the ending selling price. Greenberg lists the unpainted dark gray as $295 in excellent condition and the red painted one at $164 in excellent condition. As we all know everybody claims their item is in excellent condition.

There are other gondolas with pricey variations as well. One example that comes to mind is the "American Flyer" gray version that Greenberg lists at $283 in excellent condition. Nope didn't buy that one either off eBay. There are 2 red versions of the "American Flyer", painted and unpainted red which I have, and a 1953 "Frisco" Tuscan or light brown, whatever you want to call it, version that is very common and cheap which I also have. As I'm sure most everybody knows, just like hoppers of which I have 24, there are many versions of gondolas. At last count I have 26 of those when I stopped buying.

Last edited by AFGP9; 08-24-2019 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #428
flyernut
Yard Master

Speaking of hoppers, I bought my white one for $5 bucks, but it has a missing step.. And that was at a train show.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #429
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
LOL, speaking of train shows. Here is a little advice. I love deals on train items. I am not afraid to offer less. There is a way to do it. I never offer less on just one item. Well seldom. I find a seller with multiple items I want. I offer a crazy price. That starts the negotiations. You have to remember the seller would rather not drag all that stuff home.
You also have to know both sides need to feel like they won. So I start low and reach a good price and both sides feel good about the deal. You have to know your prices on things for this to work for you. Sounds simple but many don't know "the art of negotiations". I might have learned this from selling cars for 30 years.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #430
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
LOL, speaking of train shows. Here is a little advice. I love deals on train items. I am not afraid to offer less. There is a way to do it. I never offer less on just one item. Well seldom. I find a seller with multiple items I want. I offer a crazy price. That starts the negotiations. You have to remember the seller would rather not drag all that stuff home.
You also have to know both sides need to feel like they won. So I start low and reach a good price and both sides feel good about the deal. You have to know your prices on things for this to work for you. Sounds simple but many don't know "the art of negotiations". I might have learned this from selling cars for 30 years.
Agree on all points. I might have learned this from buying cars for 30 years.
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote