Photo of the day!!! - Page 55 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #541
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Cramden here is one of my 980’s I posted before. Yours has the better decal, many seem to have worn or faded even though the cars were not run on a layout.

C7CBC481-7405-4D5D-A612-33C515B4822A.jpg

Last edited by AmFlyer; 09-13-2019 at 01:07 AM..
AmFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #542
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Thanks Cramden. Most were bought years ago. I don't remember the last time I bought a new to me steam engine. I did once upon a time have a Rocket chrome set and 9 extra chrome passenger cars. I sold that Rocket set and all of the chrome cars because I just didn't like the way it went with my layout. Give me steam locomotives, some heavyweight passenger cars, with a few GP's thrown in, and I'm happy.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #543
AFGP9
Conductor

AmFlyer, since I grew up in Southern Ill, (some say I've never grown up, even at 73 since I still "play with trains"), that is common rock formation down there too as well as Missouri. Also I have taken many vacation trips to and through Kentucky and Tennessee. That same rock type is all over down there. I always liked the strata look. I took lots of pictures on those trips so I had good references to go by.

Last edited by AFGP9; 09-12-2019 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #544
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

I lived for a while in the west suburbs and the city of Chicago. Pretty flat there with lots of good black topsoil. Nothing like those rock formations.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #545
AFGP9
Conductor

Yep pretty flat around here too, downstate from Chicago, although as you go towards Peoria there are a few hills but nothing like I was around in Southern Ill., Missouri, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

The only good thing about this part of the state was the farm my dad bought when we moved to this area. As I related on here before, when we would come into town from the west, we past the Chicago & Alton, later GM & O, rail yards which was a large complex of repair and maintenance shops plus a rail yard. I was lucky enough to be around when there were still steam engines running at the time, right at the steam to diesel era. Seeing a bunch of steam engines sitting for various reasons was something I will never forget. There were several tracks for cars and trucks to cross so dad couldn't drive very fast. Great!! I loved it!! I would just sit and stare at all the steam engines either already steamed up for service or just sitting, as we crossed all those tracks. I think there were 5-6 tracks across the road. Of course they were always rough. That is where I no doubt developed the love of steam trains even though those evil diesel F and E unit engines, and GP 9's were sneaking in.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 AM   #546
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
By Golly AFGP9, you got the pic thing down. Its all easy once you get the hang of it.
Yes, we have the layered rock here. I have a few stacks of ceiling tile I gathered up
for my HO layout. I will use some on the S layout. AFGP9, nice stable of steamers. I
see you have a 1948 Royal Blue. Me too.

The B&O boxcars are nice.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #547
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
Here are pics of scenery using broken ceiling tile that I mentioned a while back. I have others of my track work that I also mentioned using AF track. When I figure out how I got his far, I will post the track pics.
That looks very cool. I am familiar with those rock formations and yours look perfect. I appreciate all the trouble you went to getting them posted. I am going to experiment with the process once I find some ceiling tiles.
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #548
hjstr6
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: S
AFGP9, That is a handsome lineup of locos.
hjstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #549
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

For today I went back to a steam engine not frequently seen on layouts. This engine is a great runner and smoker. With the 2 step reverse unit it demands perfectly clean wheels and track so it does not suddenly reverse.
The 21005 PRR B6sb 0-6-0 Switcher.

7C570013-B53D-47B7-AE86-152744D22F25.jpg

43426256-BCE7-4A21-ABFC-86361B59CC5B.jpg
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #550
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Very cool locomotive. I have never seen a PRR switcher. Looks like in very nice condition.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote