Photo of the day!!! - Page 58 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #571
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
My photo of the day. A 636 and a 936 Erie Cable cars. The 636 was already converted to knuckle couplers when I bought it. AF pics for Forum 165.jpg
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #572
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Nice cable cars. I have bid on a few but still do not have one.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #573
AFGP9
Conductor

Thanks Mopac. The other side of the 636 is actually better looking. No marks like in the pic. Of course I wasn't paying attention when I took the photo. Those cars have some weight to them with the die-cast bodies and the reels combined.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #574
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Seems all my cars have a picture side.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #575
AFGP9
Conductor

Yep I know what you mean. Not all but some are that way in my collection.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 AM   #576
AFGP9
Conductor

AF pics for Forum 110.jpg

Beware. They're out there!
Old 09-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #577
shaker281
Conductor

That is funny and a bit timely. I was going through my son's old stuff and found his Megabloks "Hanger 18". It is just like Lego. And i thought it would be funny to incorporate it into a layout. Pretty big though. Maybe inset it into a hill, like Cheyenne mountain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (305.2 KB, 2 views)
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #578
AFGP9
Conductor

Funny how sometimes brilliant minds think a like! That hanger does look a little big but if you put it far enough back from the front edge and in some sort of mountain scene, I think that would work. Maybe surround the hanger with mountains and have only a portion of it showing? The mountains would take some of the size away.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #579
AFGP9
Conductor

I mentioned a while back that I had an around the walls layout with a bridge connecting the 2 sides. It has been in operation for 3 years and still don't have the bridge deck done yet!!
You can see in the last picture how the bridge hinges. It is actually 2 x 4 construction with Plastistruct side pieces to represent steel construction. The beveled track ends are shown a part and not touching to illustrate how the track current is transferred. The track on the bridge is wired as well as each end of track leading up to it. When lowered, the beveled ends make good solid contact. There are guides on the landing side to make sure of proper track alignment when the bridge is lowered. There was a lot of trial and error involved in that project!

AF pics for Forum 117.jpg

AF pics for Forum 118.jpg

AF pics for Forum 170.jpg

AF pics for Forum 173.jpg
Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #580
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
I mentioned a while back that I had an around the walls layout with a bridge connecting the 2 sides. It has been in operation for 3 years and still don't have the bridge deck done yet!!
You can see in the last picture how the bridge hinges. It is actually 2 x 4 construction with Plastistruct side pieces to represent steel construction. The beveled track ends are shown a part and not touching to illustrate how the track current is transferred. The track on the bridge is wired as well as each end of track leading up to it. When lowered, the beveled ends make good solid contact. There are guides on the landing side to make sure of proper track alignment when the bridge is lowered. There was a lot of trial and error involved in that project!
Wow, that is way cool. I like your out-of-the-box thinking! Very ingenious. Thanks for sharing that.

I've been wanting to ask: did you prepare the edges of the ceiling tiles for your "bluffs" in any particular fashion? After breaking them to size, how did you shape them? Knife? Sanding? Other method?
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote