Photo of the day!!! - Page 59 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #581
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Sahker281, thanks for the kind words regarding the bridge!

As to the shaping of the of the ceiling tile, I started with a full piece of tile, cut down the middle, and moved it to the edge of my shop work bench because it has a 90 degree finished edge for better breaking. I drew an irregular line on the back side and tried to break off small pieces at a time after scoring the outline I had drawn. I wasn't trying to follow that line exactly. It was just a guide. Sometimes I would break off bigger chunks to vary the line. I also used pliers to break off small narrow pieces, varying how deep those breaks were. Each layer is glued together using Liquid Nails adhesive. The piece that juts out where the track curves around it in the one pic, is a piece by itself. When I was satisfied with the height and over all look, I then used a wire brushed to smooth some of the edges. I varied the wire brushing to get irregular edges, imagining water would have ran over the edges and smoothed some edges more than others. That is what I had observed with the real thing.
I painted the edges with black, brown, and green, varying the color shades. I painted some of the pieces that are back from the edge black to give them a deeper, shadowed look. I also used touches of white for high lights. I have a lot of artist's acrylic paints so that is what I used. Reasonably cheap at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or maybe Wal Mart.
I built the whole thing in one long assembly on my bench. For ease of positioning and carrying to the layout, I built small sections at a time, about 2', with the ends staggered so when they were assembled on the layout, one end of a section is staggered back and the section next to that one was built with a corresponding over hang to match the staggered end, fitting like a puzzle. Remember, it was all assembled as you built it so there shouldn't be any fitting problems. Besides, you don't want a perfect look. Also, using the small sub assemblies, you can change the the angle of each as well.

A word of warning. You will make a mess. Also do not throw away any scraps. They make great random rock piles and also can be used for fallen chunks at the bottom of your cliffs.
The main thing about this rock making method is, you don't have to be perfect. No need to.

Hope that information helps.
Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 12:28 AM   #582
shaker281
Conductor

That's good info and it definitely helps, thanks for that. Did you use a "dry brush method" or a "wash" or apply the paint undiluted? Also, did you stack the pieces textured side up or textured side down?
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #583
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
It has been a while since I had any free time to dig into my collection. I wanted to make a single post of 715’s that included all the Manoil Coupe color variations. Unfortunately they are not all in one place and at least three are part of sets in set boxes. I thought I would begin with these two that were in the first place I looked. These are the green and silver and solid blue. Note the green and silver coupe is on the blueish gray ramp variation of the 715 unloading car.

370E00A2-94DB-4836-92FA-0669397A680A.jpg

Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #584
AFGP9
Conductor

AmFlyer, nice 715's and automobiles. I always wanted at least one of those 715's. When I start on a series of cars, I try and get every variation. With these 715's that could be a sizable investment.
I did see a first year 1946 Tootsietoy Armored Car 715 with box at a show a couple of years ago. Nice price too. No I didn't buy it. I need to complete my other series of cars before starting on something new.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #585
AFGP9
Conductor

Shaker281, I since I was using acrylic artist paints, I used many different methods. Some of the colors are straight up out of the tube. Others are different colors mixed then thinned and yes sometimes I dry brushed. Since I have dabbled in art and used to paint pictures, the paint mixing hues and colors was no big deal. Also some of the colors are thinned with a dab of water. You'll just have to educate yourself on the paint application and color mixing. It was easy for me but maybe not for other people. I suggest black, white, medium green, brown and yellow tubes of the paint. Get as small a tube as you can since it won't take much and with the colors I mentioned you can mix unlimited color combinations. Brands I have are Liquitex Basics tubes and Delta Ceramcoat 2 oz. bottles. Check Michel's or Hobby Lobby. I have found Delta Ceramcoat marked down for close out pricing at Michel's before.

The ceiling tile is glued with the back side down since it was easier to draw the guide lines on a semi-smooth surface using a Magic Marker. The ceiling tile I got had an irregular pattern of grooves on the face side. I could have gotten the smooth face type but when I went to get my tiles I asked for any broken pieces and was directed to the type I ended up with. I either got them free or for very little money. Home Depot, Menards, and Lowe's.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #586
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I have been letting down the thread I started. I will try to get back to it this weekend.
I need to take some new pics. And/or find my other SD cards. Hope to see you soon.

Tom, good looking turntable and roundhouse.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #587
AFGP9
Conductor

AmFlyer, after seeing your 715's the other night, I decided to educate myself on them. I first went to eBay and found several of the armored car 715's along a few other types. I didn't know they used so many different color combinations of those armored cars. Is that for real? I checked my "American Flyer Trains" written by David Doyle and there is no mention of so many armored truck colors. It does however list and show several different vehicle colors and the rail car variations as you alluded to. If the many different colors of that armored car is correct, I think it was 5, that would reinforce my thought of a sizable investment in collecting all the different 715's types of rail cars plus all the different vehicle loads and their color variations.
That thought aside, I like the 2 you show. Had I known about these things when I was working and before retirement, maybe........?

As a side note, I just got my November issue of Classic Toy Trains. What do you suppose is the last article in the magazine? If you guessed an article on the 715's, you'd be correct. In fact there is a picture of a silver and blue car on the 715 car. Oh and also I didn't know 715 was given a new number, 915, in 1953 with gas trucks as the vehicle load. There again, more than one color of gas truck. I think I'm getting a headache over this.

Kenny
Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #588
AFGP9
Conductor

flyernut, a while back you mentioned something about purchasing the white version of the 640 hopper car. Here are some pics of the 640's I have. The white one appears to be a little cream color but that is a photo deal. It really is white. Note the marble one. Yeah it has a scratch and some kind of a mark near the "A" in the word "American" and the other gray 640 has a smudge near "A'" on that one but until I can find better ones, these one will do. Not a very good pic of all 3 but you get the idea. Finding the marble version was the hardest since I knew it was out there. Now all I need is the black lettered version of the gray one.

ATTACH]508762[/ATTACH]

AF pics for Forum 153.jpg

AF pics for Forum 154.jpg

AF pics for Forum 155.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF pics for Forum 125.jpg (1.24 MB, 4 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #589
AFGP9
Conductor

flyernut, a while back you mentioned something about purchasing the white version of the 640 hopper car. Here are some pics of the 604's I have. The white one appears to be a little cream color but that is a photo deal. It really is white. Note the marble one. Not a very good pic of all 3 but you get the idea.

Looks like I have somehow created a duplicate post. I couldn't get rid of the second.

Attachment 508762

Attachment 508764

Attachment 508766

Attachment 508768

Last edited by AFGP9; 09-21-2019 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Duplcate post
Old 09-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #590
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Kenny, I made a decision to collect the Manoil Coupe versions of the 715. I am no expert on the armored car loads. Gilbert purchased them from a supplier so there could be colors that were not used by Gilbert.
I have 10 of the 715's almost all in original packaging, some as part of sets. I have the green, green and silver, blue, blue and silver, red, red and silver loads.
There are several color variations of the gas trucks on the 915. I do not have them, need a few boundaries in my collecting.