Photo of the day!!! - Page 84 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #831
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
I like the Koppers tank car. Koppers is associated with Pittsburgh, where I am from.
I like those Koppers cars too but why on every one I have ever seen is the "Koppers" insignia always faded? I have looked at countless ones over the years at train shows all are faded. Too many fingers touching that insignia maybe?

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #832
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
My new toy. The only problem is that the beacon does not rotate due to the cold, did I say cold, in my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beacon.jpg (1.50 MB, 2 views)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #833
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Love the beacon Broke. Looks like a nice one. Man, you have some accessories.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #834
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Good looking beacon Fred. Sometimes by playing with the angles on the beacon cover you can get them to rotate from the heat of the bulb, but most times they don't work as designed. Give it a spin and enjoy it while its moving.
cramden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #835
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Thanks Mopac! And, Cramden, that is just exactly what I do. I will wait until next summer to see if it will do anything better.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #836
AFGP9
Conductor

I have one of those Beacon Towers as well. Same issue, the beacon light does not turn. I have the correct dimpled bulb for the point to set on to spin but nothing. Yeah I can spin it but that's not fun. Mostly it just sets and shines. I don't have an airport any how. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I take one.

Kenny
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #837
dooper
Brakeman

Just keep the bulb lit, and it should move. Mine is in the basement, unheated, but not too cold, but not warm. Check the vanes on the top and make sure they are adjusted properly - should all have the same angle. They are just like the old Christmas ornaments that spun around, but I am sure most of you are not as old as I and don't remember them.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #838
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Like the candle holder with the angel and vanes. heat from the candle turns the vanes.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #839
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
Just keep the bulb lit, and it should move. Mine is in the basement, unheated, but not too cold, but not warm. Check the vanes on the top and make sure they are adjusted properly - should all have the same angle. They are just like the old Christmas ornaments that spun around, but I am sure most of you are not as old as I and don't remember them.
I do remember those ornaments since I am 73 years old.

As to adjusting those vanes on the beacon, I have tried them at all kinds of angles. No luck. Gave up. I took mine off the layout for a photo and what to my wondering eyes should I see but mine is a Lionel!! Like a lot of my accessories, I bought this many years ago but sure don't remember it being a Lionel!

Kenny

AF cleaning cars and Beacon 010.jpg
Old 10-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #840
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
I don't know about our ages, but I have a little boxed set of those. One of my other weaknesses, vintage Christmas ornaments. They are just as difficult to get working right. I have the C-7 strings of lights that you need to sit them atop of. The hardest part is getting the bulb to stay vertical so the little shades sit up straight. I will post a picture of them when the Christmas decorations come out for their yearly appearance.

Last edited by cramden; 10-24-2019 at 07:50 PM..
cramden is online now   Reply With Quote