Photo of the day!!! - Page 89 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 10-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #881
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
That is a very fine set. I think you need to add a hidden lower level storage yard so these trains can be brought out and run!
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #882
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Kenny, you are correct about strong lettering standing out.

cramden, your 293 is a dandy also. Your cars always look new. Very few of mine do
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #883
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Mopac, unless you are buying glass case only cars and you run your trains on a layout, they shouldn't look new. I have bought several because of like new or were new just for my display case but others just for runners. Scratches and scrapes are what I see on the real thing and since I want things to look natural on my layout, not so great cars it is. Plus as we have discussed before, they are way cheaper than pristine cars. It is all a matter of what you are trying to do.
Don't miss understand. A nice shiny set running around the lay out is nice. I have a couple of consists that I will get out from time to time.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #884
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramden View Post
Nice one Kenny, your pics on your layout keeps reminding me how I have to get busy on my layout. Since we're doing 293's, here's mine from a boxed 5525TBW set from 1955. In case anyone is curious about the wood block, that was placed between the cab and the tender when wrapped for shipping to avoid damage. The black wrap is behind the engine. I posted a pic of the 912 Koppers tank car before and will post the other cars from the set as soon as I take some pics. Attachment 512274
Nice 293 and all those cars Cramden. You seem to have so many nice sets. I've never been a set collector but after seeing some of your stuff makes me which I had. I just bought what ever I wanted because I knew I was going to run trains on a layout so I just bought engines and rolling stock as I saw fit and liked.
I have enough cars and locomotives plus old catalogs that I could make sets I suppose. The closest I come to a set is a 5001T. It has all the cars but no farm scene inserts and no original boxes. Maybe no track locks either. I'd have to dig it out and look.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #885
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
That is a very fine set. I think you need to add a hidden lower level storage yard so these trains can be brought out and run!
No room Tom for any expansion unfortunately.
Thanks mopac, I try to buy the best condition I can afford. Kenny, some of my sets are boxed, some are sets without the set box, mostly bought from private individuals. 3 sets are my original ones without the set boxes, Yes they were tossed out years ago. Who knew the value at the time, they were after all just toys. I also have some made up sets since I had the engines and cars to complete them. I like to display and run them as the sets the way Gilbert marketed them.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #886
cramden
Dispatcher

A few 3 spring link cars. It's amazing how fast the die has worn on the trucks for only being made for 2 years (52-53). IMG_0102b.JPG

IMG_0102c.JPG

IMG_0102d.JPG
Old 11-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #887
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
My photo of the day is of my new AF 470 Chrome Diesel. I bought it on eBay and of course it doesn't run. But it does buzz and the headlight comes on. All in all, it looks good with only a few scratches and damaged decals. I am not unhappy but I did pay too much for it. I want to get a B Unit and a dummy A if they come available. All three together aer starting for $300 and goes up from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF 470 Chrome.JPG (1.38 MB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #888
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Good looking locomotive Broke. Hope you get it running without too much trouble.

cramden, those are nice looking cars. I have all three of the cars but of coarse not in that condition.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #889
cramden
Dispatcher

Nice looking PA Fred. The chrome on yours looks to be in very good condition. The chrome ones were 1953 only and had American Flyer Lines on the side. The 54 ones were satin silver painted with the same lettering . The 55 PA's had Santa Fe on the side and American Flyer. There are some that come up on ebay that people sell individually, while others sell them as ABA sets. The chrome ones are some of my favorites. Hopefully, yours just needs cleaning up from sitting.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #890
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramden View Post
Nice looking PA Fred. The chrome on yours looks to be in very good condition. The chrome ones were 1953 only and had American Flyer Lines on the side. The 54 ones were satin silver painted with the same lettering . The 55 PA's had Santa Fe on the side and American Flyer. There are some that come up on ebay that people sell individually, while others sell them as ABA sets. The chrome ones are some of my favorites. Hopefully, yours just needs cleaning up from sitting.
It looks quite good. There is a little wear and a scratch or two. I will keep you posted as to how it runs. However, it may be a little while. I have never even opened up a diesel so I might try. We will see...