Photo of the day!!! - Page 90 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 11-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #891
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
My photo of the day is of my new AF 470 Chrome Diesel. I bought it on eBay and of course it doesn't run. But it does buzz and the headlight comes on. All in all, it looks good with only a few scratches and damaged decals. I am not unhappy but I did pay too much for it. I want to get a B Unit and a dummy A if they come available. All three together aer starting for $300 and goes up from there.
Nice chrome over all on that Santa Fe. Hard to fine good chrome on those. If ever I would buy diesels other than the 3 370 GP7's and my 2 UP 372 GP 7's, I always thought an ABA Santa Fe chrome set would be a nice addition.
Good luck on completing the ABA set at a "reasonable" price.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #892
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramden View Post
No room Tom for any expansion unfortunately.
Thanks mopac, I try to buy the best condition I can afford. Kenny, some of my sets are boxed, some are sets without the set box, mostly bought from private individuals. 3 sets are my original ones without the set boxes, Yes they were tossed out years ago. Who knew the value at the time, they were after all just toys. I also have some made up sets since I had the engines and cars to complete them. I like to display and run them as the sets the way Gilbert marketed them.
Cramden, I could make that same 293 set from my rolling stock and the billboard. In fact you got me to thinking about sets. Still not a set collector but I have enough different locomotives and rolling stock I could put together a few sets. My David Doyle book lists all Gilbert produced sets and their contents. All I have to do is raid my glass case cars and see what I can assemble. A few from the layout would work too but most are runner quality on purpose. No boxes of course.

Kenny

Last edited by AFGP9; 11-02-2019 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #893
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
It looks quite good. There is a little wear and a scratch or two. I will keep you posted as to how it runs. However, it may be a little while. I have never even opened up a diesel so I might try. We will see...
Be very careful Fred, those things are beasts!!!!. It's probably a 2 motor engine, and now you're doubling your troubles...
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #894
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
Be very careful Fred, those things are beasts!!!!. It's probably a 2 motor engine, and now you're doubling your troubles...
I will not try it Loren. It is destined to sit on the shelf and look pretty! I could not resist a pretty face.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #895
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I will always remember flyernut's term for those old diesels. FINNICKY. That's enough
for me. If he thinks that, what in the world would I be in for.

Broke, I had fits just trying to get the screws back in to hold body to frame. I had to buy a magnetized
screw driver. No room to get screws started with fingers. I am talking about the Fly/Onel PAs. Pretty sure it is same set up
on the old ones.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #896
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
I will always remember flyernut's term for those old diesels. FINNICKY. That's enough

Broke, I had fits just trying to get the screws back in to hold body to frame. I had to buy a magnetized
screw driver. No room to get screws started with fingers. I am talking about the Fly/Onel PAs. Pretty sure it is same set up
on the old ones.
I worked on a single motor Santa Fe, and I was pulling my hair out with it. I would fix one thing, and then have to fix two more. I had over $35 bucks into that monster, but by-jimminy, when it left here, it was a running fool!
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #897
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:

on the old ones.
Way back when I bought a Rocket 4745 double AA chrome set with all the cars for a song. As things turned out, a sad song! The chrome was pretty good, not perfect buy good. The bad part was that in ran poorly. Not backing away from a challenge I decided to try and figure out what the issue was. The 474 was a dual motor type. Once I got the body off the challenge began. I won't bore everybody with the gory details but suffice to say it took me along time of trial and error to get things right.
I sold that set along with all the cars right quick and made myself a promise to never buy a PA engine again even though I still want a chrome Santa Fe AA or ABA set but they better be running perfectly, if that is even possible. Not at the top of my want list.
I can sum up the whole sorry mess in one word, "frustrating"! Flyernut you called PA's finicky? I called that one way more than that. PA's are the devil's invention I tell ya!!

Kenny
Old 11-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #898
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I don't have a one of the old AF diesels. It will probably remain that way. I did something just as bad though. I bought 4 of the repro PA sets by Lionel. I do not like them and they were in the $400.00 to $500.00 range each. How did that happen? I guess I thought, if they were made by Lionel they would be ok. I bought all 4 of them before I ran one set. Not too smart. The engine shells were made from the original AF molds. They look great, but of terrible design. Very close to the originals. The passenger cars are beautiful. Most of them will be pulled by my steamers. So they are now expensive passenger cars. The locomotives are junk. Sure wish I had run one and then there would not be 4 sets of them. Here are 2 of them.

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

They are good looking trains.

mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #899
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:
I don't have a one of the old AF diesels. It will probably remain that way. I did something just as bad though. I bought 4 of the repro PA sets by Lionel. I do not like them and they were in the $400.00 to $500.00 range each. How did that happen? I guess I thought, if they were made by Lionel they would be ok. I bought all 4 of them before I ran one set. Not too smart. The engine shells were made from the original AF molds. They look great, but of terrible design. Very close to the originals. The passenger cars are beautiful. Most of them will be pulled by my steamers. So they are now expensive passenger cars. The locomotives are junk. Sure wish I had run one and then there would not be 4 sets of them. Here are 2 of them.

Attachment 513036

Attachment 513038

Mopac those are good looking trains. Too bad they are as you described. I gotta tell ya though, not to twist the knife, the guys over on the "O" forum have been bashing Lionel's lack of quality control for a while now. Some have have said no more Lionel. My point is, your assumption that because Lionel made the AF engines they would be of good quality. I thought the same thing until their complaints started to come out. I think I mentioned that I had thought about buying one of the steamers in the catalog but didn't. I cited the reasons why but I didn't mention the complaints on Lionel's lack of quality control that I had read as another reason why I didn't buy. I should have mentioned that fact.
One more thing while I think of it. Those guys also mentioned Lionel's poor warranty service when problems do arise and you must send your locomotive in for repairs then wait for MONTHS to get your locomotive back.
Check that forum site, especially comments from Lee Willis and GRJ.

Kenny
Old 11-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #900
AmFlyerFan
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S
Wink

Quote:

Attachment 513036

Attachment 513038

Those are two good looking trains.

I would never bash another's choice in what they collect. It all comes down to personal choice/likes (obviously)-I choose AF.

In 2 weeks (Nov. 16th) there is a local train show, I can't wait.
http://www.granitecitytrainshow.com

There are very few shows here in Minnesnowta.
AmFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote