Photo of the day!!! - Page 103 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #1021
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Cramden posted two 655 pictures immediately above. The top picture has standard link coupler trucks with two vertical springs stamped between the journal boxes. The 655 immediately below it has 3 vertical springs stamped between the journal boxes and the spacing between the axles is wider. These 3 spring trucks were developed partly to stop the engine/tender stalling when going across the 90 deg crossings but primarily to have enough space to fit a sliding pickup shoe on the 295 tender trucks.
Thanks for the explanation. I will have to pull out some of my cars in order to see as I can't tell well enough in the photos. All I see is a black box on the truck. But, I see a difference in the height, I think. Please excuse my affirmatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #1022
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
I'll try to post my green 650's and 651 tomorrow. Tom or anyone, do you know what kind of polish can be used on the unpainted plastic? I remember reading about being able to polish them to remove scratches in the plastic but I can't recall what it was. My green ones have some marks on them and was going to see if I could clean them up, but don't want to use something that might make them worse.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #1023
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
The 3 spring trucks were required for the 1951 295 and the 1952 285. They began to appear on rolling stock but they serve no purpose there. Here is a closeup of one.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #1024
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

And here is the picture!

A0EEE9BD-25FE-4B7A-B14A-94DCFAE362C1.jpg
Old 11-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #1025
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

A 2 spring for comparison.

FCB7D5CB-C84F-4125-8801-D12053DC5951.jpg
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #1026
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Cramden, you can use Meguiar's cleaner wax on the car roofs. If that is not quite good then use the Step 1 swirl remover followed by the cleaner wax. Do not go anywhere near the paint or lettering. Problem with using it on the sides is the part that was polished will be visible compared to the part by the lettering that was not.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #1027
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
A 2 spring for comparison.

Attachment 514794
That really helps! Thanks! I was trying to imagine the spring in a horizontal position.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #1028
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

If you buy Gilbert standard 2 bay hoppers make sure they do not have 3 spring trucks. If they do the car will not run correctly, as soon as it enters a curve the wheel will bind on the underside of the hopper. The 3 spring truck is most commonly found on the 640 Wabash as far as hoppers go.
Looking at the two pictures I posted the 633 trucks were stamped with a fresh die, the springs are well defined. Note on the two springs the coils are high on the outside and slope to the center. The 3 spring 622 was stamped with a worn die, the spring coils are not well defined. Note on the 3 springs the right hand side of all the coils is high so they all slope right to left.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #1029
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Quote:
Cramden, you can use Meguiar's cleaner wax on the car roofs. If that is not quite good then use the Step 1 swirl remover followed by the cleaner wax. Do not go anywhere near the paint or lettering. Problem with using it on the sides is the part that was polished will be visible compared to the part by the lettering that was not.
Thanks Tom. Maybe I'll leave them alone. It was so long ago when I bought these that I might have been less fussy about them, or it was my before glasses days, and couldn't see what the heck I was buying! The worst of the bunch is the 651 baggage car and that has marks all over both sides. That one would be the one to experiment on if I decide to try it.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #1030
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Tom and cramden you guys got some very nice passenger cars there. Makes me not want to post my green 950 series cars since they are runners on the layout and don't look as nice as yours. On the other hand mine suit me fine on the layout behind a 302 or 312.
Regarding what to use on the tops of those cars, I have used automotive plastic headlight scratch remover and polisher on mine.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote