Photo of the day!!! - Page 116 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #1151
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Kenny, I think your Wabash reefer is most likely home made. It is still good to be familiar with Kris and Hobby Surplus who used surplus Gilbert shells to make road names not done by Gilbert. These cars rarely appear on vendor tables at shows.
When the picture was taken in 1955 the 716 automatic dump car was not on the layout. I still have everything with the OB’s.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #1152
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

While looking for the streetlights in the OB’s that I posted yesterday I found some other items that might be of interest. Here is one, it is the rarest of the link coupler passenger cars, the satin silver 503 observation. This one is in LN condition. These were sold only in 1952 uncataloged set #434. The 434 is a rare set. I have the pieces that make up the set but no OB’s.

9D5D2E33-14BF-48E8-878D-197F38D94712.jpg
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #1153
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Sweet passenger car and have not seen one on ebay. it seems that usually the observation cars
are not the rarest in a set. Nice car. In fact I don't remember seeing any 500 series cars.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #1154
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Beautiful Tom!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #1155
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Nice C.P. passenger set Sagas. Someone did a nice job on that set.

Very nice boxcars asidlikjr. I like the Walking Brakemen cars, though my Seaboard is noisier than my Cookie Box.

Tom, that's just plain stunning. Now I've seen 3 of these. Yours, your friends in the set book, and a picture of a boxed set that was on an auction site that if I remember went for close to $3,000.00. I think most wouldn't mind if the set box was missing in order to have the 4 car set. You have some really unbelievable items. Here's a picture of the set at auction, and no, I didn't bid, just watched.

170157_1.JPG
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:08 AM   #1156
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Nice looking 434 set, the boxes are there but rough. It would easily bring $2,500.
The 500, 501 & 502 were made in chrome and one of them frequently appeared in a 405 Silver Streak set. Not so the 503, that is why it is so rare.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:54 AM   #1157
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Tom I went to the "myflyertrains.org" site, looked under "kris" and saw cars I have never seen before. Of course my Wabash isn't there. Thanks for that reference. I book marked it so I can use that as a reference. Just for fun I checked eBay to see if any were there. Nope, not a one. I really wasn't surprised. Something else to look for at train shows.
As to my Wabash reefer, I have thought all along that was a custom or homemade car, especially since there are no reporting marks on it.

I've never seen any of those 500 series coaches in real life. All are shown in Doyle's American Flyer book with the pricing. No wonder I've never seen any at a train show! You would need a locked glass case and an armed guard considering the price values shown! Your observation car looks like a new one. Very nice.
Doyle lists the scarcity number for all of the satin cars as "8" but chrome ones at "7". Doyle claims that only the 500 combine and 502 Vista Dome were chrome while all the whole 500 series coaches were satin. One thing for certain, the satin cars are way more costly!
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #1158
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

All the 500 series passenger cars were uncataloged and not offered for separate sale. The satin silver coaches were only used as part of a rare uncataloged set. The chrome 500 cars were randomly packaged in a high volume cataloged set as a substitution for the 600 series car that was supposed to be there. A lot more chrome 500, 501 and 502 cars were made than satin silver. I guess the pricing is supply and demand.
The situation with 900 series cars is the opposite. All the cars made were cataloged. Far fewer chrome cars were made than silver. Plus the chrome 900 series cars seem to rarely be in excellent condition. So in the 900 knuckle coupler passenger sets good chrome cars are much harder to find.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #1159
alaft61ri
Brakeman

Cleaners here r three of them but the cleaner part is missing and one is missing top piece and two of them r the same .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191125_222950_1574763613674.jpg (3.85 MB, 5 views)
alaft61ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #1160
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Nice cars.
I have a nice 648. It also has the bracket that holds the pads missing. I am ok with
that. I am not a fan of cleaner cars. LOL, mine is not a cleaner car any more. I am going
to put it in my work train. Work train will have the service car, a crane car, a gondola with
gravel, a gondola loaded with track rails and ties, and a work caboose.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote