Photo of the day!!! - Page 124 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #1231
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Shame the Royal Blue was a bottom of the line locomotive.
No choo choo, no smoke. And a shame Gilbert did not make
Royal Blue passenger cars for S scale. They did for their pre war
O scale.

I got my Royal Blue from flyguy55. It runs and I have not gone through it.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #1232
alaft61ri
Brakeman

Like i said last night here is 4 pieces of marx that came with the set my moms cousin had with the american flyer set when i was a kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191211_052409_1576063757372.jpg (3.62 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20191211_052354_1576063794564.jpg (3.89 MB, 4 views)
alaft61ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #1233
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Yesterday Cramden posted pictures of some nice Christmas light original shades. He and I then had a brief back and forth about the lights. For the one or two of the readers who did not follow the Christmas Light discussion and actually care I thought I would provide background and a few pictures.
Today most Christmas lights are LED’s and most people seem to decorate with the small miniature size. However some of us are stuck in the past and prefer the larger incandescent bulbs. We referred to two types in our posts, C9 outdoors and C7 indoors.
Way back when Christmas lights were new manufacturers adopted a nomenclature for them. “C” meant cone shaped and the number was the diameter at the widest point in 1/8ths of an inch. Most common were C6, C7 and C9 but these were usually called C6 1/2, C7 1/2 and C9 1/2, the actual diameters of the glass at the widest point (C7 would be 7/8”). Other designators were “G” for globe and “D” for decorative.
This system got to be too complicated for the consumer and did not speak to the socket size. In 1972 the manufacturers changed the system. “C” now meant Christmas and the number defined the socket size. “6” is miniature, “7” is candelabra and “9” is intermediate. A standard bulb socket is “medium.” So if a Christmas light package has a size with a “1/2” in it the package was made prior to 1972.
Some pictures. The first picture shows a modern C7 bulb on the bottom and a late 1950’s production C7 1/2 on the top. Looking closely the shape of the glass has changed, the old bulb on the top has straight angled sides, the new one on the bottom has bowed sides. The wattage has also been reduced for cooler operation.
The second picture is an OB of GE C9 1/2 bulbs from about 1940. Prior to WW2 GE used Mazda (God of light) as the branding for their high end bulbs. After Pearl Harbor GE immediately dropped the Mazda name. The third picture is one of the C9 1/2 bulbs inside the box. It is flame swirl molded glass with inside frosting rather than outside painted. These are the bulbs I use on the exterior of the house, it takes some work to keep finding working replacements.

831DB85B-1A82-4823-AE1B-7D72D7FD8749.jpg

46A5D559-95E2-4584-9877-B528C8A018B5.jpg

ABBFD728-CEC5-4A95-B39A-6E9377A4370F.jpg

Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #1234
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Nice Marx items. The water tank looks similar to the Gilbert operating water tank.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #1235
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
Nice group of accessories, they look to be in very nice shape.

Tom, you are more versed in the lights than I am. All of mine are likely from the 50's and 60's. Mine are not swirled, just plain. I have come across Mazda light strings before that appeared to be swirled but in the C-7 size, I'm guessing for indoor use on the tree. I never bought any due to the fact you stated, where to get replacements and not knowing if they all were working. I passed on numerous types of tree lights for the same reason. I would really have to think about using the flame swirl bulbs outside, most people wouldn't have a clue what they were if they saw them. I have a nice supply of C-9's due to the kindness of an unknown donor in my neighborhood who left a rather large box of assorted bulbs on my front step one morning a few years ago. Nice of them instead of tossing them out knowing I always put them up every year. Ho Ho Ho!
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #1236
AmFlyerFan
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Yesterday Cramden posted pictures of some nice Christmas light original shades. He and I then had a brief back and forth about the lights. For the one or two of the readers who did not follow the Christmas Light discussion and actually care I thought I would provide background and a few pictures. It takes some work to keep finding working replacements.

Attachment 517986

Attachment 517988

Attachment 517990
Interesting history on these. If anyone would know & collect them, my money is on you!

Since you're able to fix almost anything; how about if I send you my 2 boxes of really tangled up lites to untangle? I thought I did a good job of storing them last year. It looks like a big rat's nest minus the rats.
AmFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #1237
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
[QUOTE=AmFlyer;2480902]MoPac, I was unable to make the St Louis meet this year. To get those cars I ordered them when I preregistered for the meet. I do not recall what the St Louis car was.[/QUOTE

I have never been to the St. Louis S Fest since that would be a 400 mile round trip for me.

Tom looks like you got some nice IC cars there. I really like that gondola.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #1238
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramden View Post
Nice looking cars Tom, I especially like the gondola, that's something I haven't seen on many Flyer layouts.

That's a neat light tower, looks like it might be a Marx.

For my picture today, sometime back I think Kenny(AFGP9) was talking about Christmas lights, can't find the exact post, but he mentioned the light shades that spin similar to the airport beacon top that Flyer and others have made. The heat of the bulb is supposed to make the beacon spin. I mentioned that I collect vintage Christmas ornaments and said I had a box of them. Well, The tree is getting decorated and took a couple of pics. of the ones I have. I don't use the C-7 lights anymore since the leds are much cooler and safer so these won't go on the tree this year, not enough heat to make them work. Here they are. They came 10 in a box. There are little metal cones that sit atop of the bulbs to balance the shades on, but apparently fell out of the box and are somewhere in one of the containers. I will proceed with a hunt at some point. They are difficult to get working, it's not easy to keep the bulb straight up so the shade will balance.
Attachment 517932

Attachment 517934

Attachment 517936
I hate to disagree with anybody but cramden it wasn't me that you were talking with about Christmas lights but will gladly join the conversation. While I do have a snake pit of old light strings, all C7 style, I must confess to buying one of those already lit trees. Got tired of the untangling game. I also have 7 strings of those old bubble lights from the 50's or early 60's my parents used when I was a kid. I now use the newer ones bought 6 years ago. Nothing LED.
I do have boxes of vintage ornaments. I have an old chest style freezer in my basement that came with my house that is full of Christmas stuff. I used to buy animated figures every year so I accumulated quite a bit of battery operated or plug in Santa Clauses and Mrs. figures, moving elves, reindeer, etc. At one time I used to collect Christmas decorations and ornaments at garage sales. I have some wooden tree ornaments that are at least 100 years old 10 years ago. I bought them from an 85 year old lady who had owned them for several years. She was from Kentucky and said when she was younger they didn't have electricity so they hung the wooden type of ornaments on their tree. As I said, those wooden ornaments are are least 100 years old.

All grand kids are grown and in college and with my wife's passing 4 years ago no need to put out all that stuff. Plus my knees wouldn't like all the up and down the stairs climbing. I just put up that tree, add a couple of newer bubble light strings, a couple strings of green and silver garland, newer ornaments, plug the tree in and call it good.
My dog doesn't seem to miss all that other stuff.

Kenny

Last edited by AFGP9; 12-13-2019 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling, what else?
Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #1239
AFGP9
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Who made the floodlight tower? It looks very sturdy.

Tom that it is a Marx floodlight tower. I have one just like it. Yes they are well made.

Kenny
Old 12-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #1240
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Kenny, my wfe died 4 years ago also. She loved Christmas. We always had lots of
decorations insde and out. Lots of lights. Our male golden retriever died 2 months before the wfe.
So it is just me here. No decorations for 4 years. I am fine with that. Glad I don't
have to take that stuff down and pack it away.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote