Photo of the day!!! - Page 127 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #1261
alaft61ri
Brakeman

Received my revit tool for the sold shouldet from portline hobby works nice also received the 322 tender with smoke in tender. Just needs a good cleaning. Al
alaft61ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #1262
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Here is another accessory that was packed with some sets, mostly uncatalogued sets. It is not rare but not many show up at train shows unused in the original box.

Attachment 518500

Attachment 518502
Since I have been "off the air" so to speak for a few days due to Christmas activities, I just saw this post from AmFlyer. My first American Flyer set I got for Christmas in 1954 included this same cardboard trestle set.
To the best of my recollection, I remember this trestle set and the 303 engine, IC reefer, gondola, and caboose train set as being in one box which my dad bought from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Knowing my dad, he wouldn't have bought 2 separate boxes since that would have constituted 2 gifts. Each kid got only one present. I just remember the set box being a big box. Being from Sears & Roebuck, I have never seen a set box like that one leading me to believe that, as with a lot of other stores' sets sold at the time, this set was uncatalogued. I have never seen this set in any publication to get a set number.
My dad had set it up for Christmas morning in a figure 8 configuration. I have a photo showing part of the set up, though not the whole figure 8, since the photo was of my sister. My train and trestle set are partially in the photo. Somewhere I have a photo of the whole thing but have yet to find it. That photo shows the whole figure 8 set up with engine number. Naturally I put it where I couldn't forget where it is. ???

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #1263
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Kenny, now that you brought it up you have to find the photo! At the moment I am freezing in Baltimore, when I get home I will get you the set number for your 303.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #1264
alaft61ri
Brakeman

Here is the 322 hudson tender i bought on ebay neefs work mostly cleaning looked inside. Picture. My 662 will be in tomorrow with dome but i did not notice at first it say power dc. Will see ooops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191219_051750_1576752286798.jpg (3.76 MB, 5 views)
alaft61ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #1265
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is the 322 hudson tender i bought on ebay neefs work mostly cleaning looked inside. Picture. My 662 will be in tomorrow with dome but i did not notice at first it say power dc. Will see ooops.
That tender is for a DC engines, as you stated.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #1266
Kelpieflyer
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S (the best) and some O
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
That tender is for a DC engines, as you stated.
How can you tell? I wouldn't know by looking at it and would wonder why it didnt work on AC.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #1267
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I don't know about the tender is for DC, but it does look like it is for an engine with reverse unit in boiler. The tender might not have a reverse unit in it.
If tender does not work for you, it would make a nice auxiliary tender.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #1268
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
And then again, it might be a 5 digit engine tender. Is there only 2 wires coming out?
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #1269
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
There are no DC Hudsons so the tender is for an AC set. It looks like a smoke fill hatch on the tender coal pile so it is likely from a SIT or possibly a 320 that had no smoke or choo choo. It is in nice condition.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #1270
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
As Tom stated, it's a S.I.T. likely from 1948. It appears to have a brass weight. Notice the lever out of the bottom of the tender, that's the on/off lever for the smoke in tender unit. Hard to tell from the picture,but if the center of the trucks have wheel sets, that would be common for early 320,321,322 tenders. On a side note, both the 21129 and 21130 Hudsons had plastic tenders.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote