Sign, sign, how do I build a sign...? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 12-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Buckster
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Sign, sign, how do I build a sign...?

Hi, guys. New forum member here. Also, back to modeling after a ~35 year hiatus.

I'd like to make a "Welcome to Maggieville" sign (Maggie's my daughter) for the layout that she and I are building. You know how small towns have such signs with the various club emblems and whatnot around them.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers on the best way to approach this. I was thinking I'd fashion the structure out of balsa wood and maybe try to do the graphics on my computer and print onto a decal sheet. Or... maybe there's an easier way?

Thanks!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

What style sign do you want to create?
George

well_come_to_town_1.JPG

well_come_to_town_2.JPG
Theamazingswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Buckster
Hobo

Hi! More of the first one. I haven't closely defined it, but I'm going to aim for a bit of a 1950's feel to the layout, so I think a wooden sign is more apt.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

OK I tried to create a sign modeled after the first one. This is what I came up with. I don't like balsa wood, I used styrene. I placed it on my layout to get a sense of scale. Kind of hard to see the town's name in ho scale. The brick welcome sign may be better with the larger print.

George

welcome_sign_4.jpg

welcome_sign_5.jpg
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Buckster
Hobo

Yeah! That looks great. That's exactly the effect I'm going for. You get styrene at your local hobby store? I've never worked with it before but have read about it. It does seem like it's probably easier.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Theamazingswal
Brakeman

Buck it's found in most hobby stores on racks like the below photo. I hope your have a few other projects that require it because you'll be wasting a lot of the product on one little sign. I use it for many of my projects. Good luck I hope this helps.

George

everygreen_styrene_rack.JPG
Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Buckster
Hobo

Thank you! Yes, I plan on doing many, many projects beyond this sign.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Evergreen styrene is great stuff to work with, just make sure you get the right glue for it. I have quite a pile of packages with various sizes of pieces and use it for everything from creating full buildings to adding minute detail pieces. You can also order it online, but then you have to pay for shipping.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
Buckster
Hobo

Thanks, Shdwdrgn. What glue do you recommend?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

When you pick up the styrene from the hobby shop, ask them for something. I think the stuff is just a thinned version of airplane glue, but it looks like water in the bottle and should have an application brush. I really like the green bottle of "extra thin" from Tamiya, you just paint a little around the edges and capillary action does the rest.

I forgot to mention, look around here, there was a recent thread (last week or over the weekend) discussing using MS Word to make signs. You should be able to find a lot of good tips one printing b&w or full color signs that can be pasted to your framework and then sealed.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote