Confused about size variances in O gauge? Then look here! - Page 10 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #91
Country Joe

Don't let the scale guys get you down, Ernest. I (and many others) only run traditional O gauge and have no intention of changing. You can build a very nice, good looking layout with traditional pre war and/or post war size trains. Scale trains are great if you have room for very large curves to run them and if you're willing to pay for scale. Scale or traditional doesn't matter as long as you're having fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #92
ErnestHouse
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O
But anything you buy like buildings, bridges, portals, cars and people are all the wrong size. You spend all that time and effort on a layout and it looks funny. So what's the point?
ErnestHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #93
Country Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
But anything you buy like buildings, bridges, portals, cars and people are all the wrong size. You spend all that time and effort on a layout and it looks funny. So what's the point?
Most of our buildings are undersized, or selectively compressed, especially industrial buildings. 1/43 cars are oversized even for scale but look good anyway. Things like bridges, portals and many other things don't have an exact size in the real world, some are bigger and some smaller. These are some pictures from my recently dismantled layout. The trains are traditional/post war size. I think the scenes are convincing and look good. It might be a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder but I'm very happy with semi-scale trains. I think it's well worth the effort and I had a lot of fun with the layout and look forward to building and running the next one using the same trains. It's not necessary to spend a thousand dollars and more on a steam loco to have a fine layout.

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #94
4G-Man
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Willis View Post
Definitely - boxcars, tan cars, gondolas and other types of the same type of car vary slightly in size in the real world. I think it is more realistic when they do on the layout. I actually like the fact there is a tiny variation between cars of different manufacturers (and sometimes even among the same, from different years' productions).

The photo below shows what I think does not work out, though, at least for me. Both are Lionel O-gauge products, a standard size (1:48 scale) Santa Fe "Map slogan" car on the left, and a traditional size one on the right. These I never run together.

Attachment 85154
Lee, I am not trying to argue, just trying to learn. If you like them being different then why don't you like those as your example being different?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #95
4G-Man
Brakeman

Ok, I am getting ready to build a set and would like to be somewhat accurate - my thoughts people and buildings are different sizes (a buildings footprint) in this world; however some thing have a basic standard such and floor heights 8' or 10' and then there is warehouses that may not have a standard height depending on what was going to happen in the building. But typically one wouldn't want it undersized if they wanted it to be similarly realistic.

So on average - how tall is today's loco? Or maybe a better question is, if I was to place a house or building with what would be an 8' ceiling or a 10' ceiling or a 12' ceiling what would these measurements be in inches for an average O scale?
Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #96
cole226
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: 0 and 0n30
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G-Man View Post

So on average - how tall is today's loco? Or maybe a better question is, if I was to place a house or building with what would be an 8' ceiling or a 10' ceiling or a 12' ceiling what would these measurements be in inches for an average O scale?
remember, O scale is 1/48 which is 1/4"=1foot, 1"=4 feet, etc.

i believe most locos are generally around 15 ft tall.

tunkhannock viaduct
cole226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #97
highvoltage
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G-Man View Post
Ok, I am getting ready to build a set and would like to be somewhat accurate - my thoughts people and buildings are different sizes (a buildings footprint) in this world; however some thing have a basic standard such and floor heights 8' or 10' and then there is warehouses that may not have a standard height depending on what was going to happen in the building. But typically one wouldn't want it undersized if they wanted it to be similarly realistic.

So, using 1/4"=1 foot, an 8 ft ceiling would be 2 inches high, 10 ft - 2.5 inches, 12 ft - 3 inches.

A 15 foot tall loco would be 3.75 inches high.
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #98
4G-Man
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole226 View Post
remember, O scale is 1/48 which is 1/4"=1foot, 1"=4 feet, etc.

i believe most locos are generally around 15 ft tall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
So, using 1/4"=1 foot, an 8 ft ceiling would be 2 inches high, 10 ft - 2.5 inches, 12 ft - 3 inches.

A 15 foot tall loco would be 3.75 inches high.
Great, thanks. I was not for sure O was 1:48 scale, I was starting to feel that may have been the case but would not have bet on it - good info.

The measurements put things in perspective, that ain't quite as scary as I first imagined. Now I can start thinking think out more clearly.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #99
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
True O-scale is 1:48 if you live in the US, but 1:43 if you live in Europe. Add to that all the semi-scale stuff that is sized between 1:48 and around 1:55, and you can see why there is confusion about what scale O-scale really is.

If you wonder why there are so many 1:43 vehicles, but very few 1:48 ones, you can blame the Europeans!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #100
4G-Man
Brakeman

dadblamed metric system probably