3rd revision of layout plans - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #21
johnvosh
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
That is the truth! I wanted to have a container yard with a crane and bunch of cars and tractors trailers in it but the cost was crazy for those things! Can’t believe how much the containers go for in any scale they seem to cost the same. I gave up on that idea real quick!
I just had a look on ebay and the LPG cars are going for roughly C$50 - C$80+ each, plus it is about C$30 for shipping from the US. I'm sorry, but they aren't worth that. I'd pay at most C$37/each with no shipping cost.

I was wanting to have a little propane setup on my layout, but not with the prices of the cars I'm not. Maybe I'll find some at the April swap meet
johnvosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #22
johnvosh
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedub35 View Post
Tanker cars and container well cars are pricey I agree. Maybe all the detail? Containers are expensive too - if I can’t buy a rectangular piece of plastic for less than $15 then I pass on it.

Oh and I’ll always make a trip to Hobby Wholesale on Gateway Blvd. Love that store.

There are a lot more train shops in Calgary though.
They aren't worth over C$50 each though. If they were more reasonable around C$37 each it wouldn't be so bad.

Yup, Hobby Wholesale, the only hobby store in the entire metro area that sells model train stuff. 3-4 years ago we had at least 6-8 hobby stores, now we are down to just a couple. It sucks though, because it means HW can charge a premium for the stock because they basically have a monopoly. It is also amazing how much that store has expanded over the past couple of years too
Old 02-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #23
johnvosh
Hobo

This is the plan that I am basing my layout on, but putting my own scenery and stuff in and expanding the length and width. It has all the turn out #'s and the radius. I am hoping that I should be able to use this for my radius size and everything correct?

Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #24
deedub35
Conductor

Nice plan. I like it.

I’m always looking at eBay, kijiji, craigslist, and out here castanet for deals. Look long enough and there are deals to be had. The key is to find stuff in Canada so shipping doesn’t kill you although I have bought some from the US as long as the total price is palatable. I have bought some things retail too.

Most of my locomotives were off eBay so including shipping I didn’t want to spend more than $125 CAN for a DC loco as I needed to get a DCC decoder too.

My four green Procor tanker cars (my favorite) were about $150 CAN shipped.

I picked up a few lots of containers over the years - some ended up being like $10 CAN each inc shipping!

The four 5-car Thrall were retail like $100 per pop.

Look around and be patient and over time you’ll build up a good fleet of pulling power and have some nice rolling stock.
deedub35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #25
Cousin Eddie
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvosh View Post
Quote:
That is the truth! I wanted to have a container yard with a crane and bunch of cars and tractors trailers in it but the cost was crazy for those things! Can’t believe how much the containers go for in any scale they seem to cost the same. I gave up on that idea real quick!
I just had a look on ebay and the LPG cars are going for roughly C$50 - C$80+ each, plus it is about C$30 for shipping from the US. I'm sorry, but they aren't worth that. I'd pay at most C$37/each with no shipping cost.

I was wanting to have a little propane setup on my layout, but not with the prices of the cars I'm not. Maybe I'll find some at the April swap meet
Yeah the prices on some stuff is crazy I watch eBay every day to find deals. Sometimes I get lucky. I go to as many train shows as I can because I hate paying shipping but those are totally hit and miss.
Cousin Eddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #26
deedub35
Conductor

Quote:
Yeah the prices on some stuff is crazy I watch eBay every day to find deals. Sometimes I get lucky. I go to as many train shows as I can because I hate paying shipping but those are totally hit and miss.
Yeah - sometimes the price of the item and what they want for shipping is outrageous. Some sellers need to give their heads a shake.

Last edited by deedub35; 02-14-2020 at 08:49 PM..
deedub35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:51 AM   #27
Jackets
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Ramblings (in short shipping makes money.)

Prices can be shocking, when hunting things. Any retailer i find i drop into my bookmarks "Stores" folder and run though them hunting prices and comparing shipping.

Pricing seems to vary widely on some items like locomotives.

Cheers,
Joe
Jackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:33 PM   #28
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvosh View Post
This is the plan that I am basing my layout on, but putting my own scenery and stuff in and expanding the length and width. It has all the turn out #'s and the radius. I am hoping that I should be able to use this for my radius size and everything correct?

John, that's a tried and true plan. I think you will like it. Have you thought about how you will get into the center?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #29
johnvosh
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
John, that's a tried and true plan. I think you will like it. Have you thought about how you will get into the center?
Here is Rev 4 sketch of my layout, showing the track. I have basically extended the layout in the above example to 10 feet by 10.5 feet and am putting a 2' X 7.5' staging area in the closet with a tunnel thru the wall. And I have made it 2' wide instead of just 1', to give me more room to work with scenery.

I plan on having a hinged lift up at the main door, which I have removed and then a hinged lift up going into the closet. The area going into the closet will have a double bridge and a nice river flowing under it.

I have also added a second mainline and another track along the 32" wide section.

This sketch is to scale, as I copied most of the track from the original layout and extended it. I think it will look good once it is all built!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200217_174216.jpg (2.63 MB, 0 views)