When did you get into N-Scale? - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #31
bl665
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
18 January 1997. Easy to remember as I landed in the USA on the 25th. The day before the Super Bowl XXXI.

Got into it by accident but I am not sorry ever.

How did you get into by accident ?! This does not seem to be one of the those things that happens accidentally haha sounds like a good story !
bl665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #32
BigEd
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl665 View Post
How did you get into by accident ?! This does not seem to be one of the those things that happens accidentally haha sounds like a good story !
Long story short - my younger brother borrowed my car while I was working abroad (UK) and let's just say with him as a student, the car got neglected.

I just returned home, on my way to the USA, and found that I needed the car fixed to be mobile. My mechanic works from his home and he had a rubber-duck boat in his garage when I accidentally slipped and pull a sheet off the boat. Inside the boat was an Kibri N scale layout (similar to the modern Noch preformed plastic layouts).

At the time I just lost out on a big collection of OO in the UK and I was interested.

Turns out the N scale stuff it was for sale. At the same moment his doorbell rung and he said it must be the guy coming to look at the collection. Told him on the spot I'll take it, offered a little more than he wanted and the deal was done.

When he came back from the door he commented "Phew, that guy was pissed!"

I should have looked who it was... might be a current mate...
BigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #33
bl665
Hobo

And just like that you had a layout !! Haha that’s pretty sick man. He may have been a mate but you beat him to the punch. Did you happen to disassemble the layout and rebuild it from scratch ? Cool story
bl665 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #34
BigEd
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl665 View Post
Did you happen to disassemble the layout and rebuild it from scratch ? Cool story
Not at all - too lazy.

But last year me and my mates rebuilt it, or at least , rejuvenated it. I then gave it to my uncle who got me into model trains as a 5 year old.

My mates - now that's a whole another kettle of fish. Bunch of reprobates. They organise meetings at my house without me knowing about it! My fault for living sorta in the middle... Next thing I know I have 8 - 10 mouths to feed coffee. This have become a thing and once I have my train room sorted (3 - 4 months) it will be the place to be on a Saturday afternoon in Cape Town. Just need a coffee vending machine...

I only make like I am complaining - don't tell them. I kinda like it...
Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #35
Cousin Eddie
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post

A picture from my dark gloomy dungeon.
My story throughout this thread, (more pictures too)
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=7158

Attachment 524640
Wow Big Ed I looked at all the pics and read the old thread that’s a hell of a way to start out lol. Do you still have that Lehigh valley sw1200 switcher? I just picked the same one up at a train show a couple weeks ago and I love how smooth it runs at low speeds. It’s my favorite switcher! Just for the record did not pay what that sticker says!
Attached Images
File Type: png AE710265-FBB3-4AF0-A3BA-AE63A2E4B977_1581688208526.png (4.71 MB, 1 views)
Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #36
BigEd
Hobo

Oops, different Big Ed. I’m BigEd...I’m not spaced...