And So It Begins....Or Ends..... - Page 10 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #91
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
Well, I don't think I'd abandon traction control for that reason. I actually think handling has come a long ways, and stuff like anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, etc. are great advances, and have doubtless minimized the accident rate over non-equipped cars. It took me a while to get used to anti-lock brakes, but now I can't imagine driving without them. Even motorcycle makers have recognized the value of anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control.

That's a far cry from self-driving cars.
They are worthless on 18 wheels. ABS that is.
Even 2 DOT inspectors told me that.

Even worse if the trailer has it and the tractor doesn't.
And on single bore tankers they are more dangerous then beneficial.

On cars I agree anti lock are better. With inexperienced drivers all they do is lay on the brakes hard anyway.
I guess they were never taught stab and release. So when you lay on the brakes with anti lock that is supposed to do that for you.
Works fine,.......... if it is working right.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #92
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Driving with 4 wheels is a far cry from 18 wheels. I hasten to add, that I had no problems with regular brakes before anti-lock brakes. I was never a hold it to the floor until it stops kind of guy in any case. I also drove for years in real winters with rear wheel drive and regular tires, no problem if the idiot in front of me didn't to something stupid.

I learned at the raceway that when you were braking it wasn't a good time to also be turning, only so much traction to go around. It seems so logical, but I see all sorts of people all over the brakes on wet or slippery roads in a turn! Too late stupid, you should have been at the right speed before you got into the turn! I also have gotten to see a good number of them doing some cross country travel before the crash.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:39 AM   #93
prrfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post

Still can't figure out why man is so bent on having machines do everything for them....why? So they can spend more time staring blankly at their phones? There is no hope for our species.....
There’s a good question. It has evolved towards that with each new generation.
We grew up in the beginning of the modern technical age. We watched in awe as the atomic bomb was built, atomic energy created, and men got to the moon.

Humans not only developed the technology, but also directly controlled it. If there was a problem, we fixed it. (Apollo 13).
Now we have ‘advanced’ to the point where our technology is creating and controlling newer technology. Each new generation of scientists seems to be increasingly ok with that.

I think phones do have something to do with it. The constant technological connection. They can’t get along without their microchip sidekick.
Maybe Tesla and Boeing are waking up and will lead the way back to something more sensible. Maybe. We’ll see.
prrfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #94
gimme30
Brakeman

I'd like to think that in the most altruistic sense the "hope for our species" would be the ability to concentrate on or complete other tasks that may be back-burnered simply due to lack of time. Granted you're not going to get much done stuffed into a self-driving subcompact but that space once reserved for the meat pilot could be converted into a mini lab for the research scientist, or mobile library for the student....or makeup table for women who're going to be putting it on whether they're driving or not!

I'm a luddite when it comes to certain things but this is one technology I am desperately hoping gets sorted to an acceptable level of reliability and soon-as someone that commutes by bike I'll take 1000 fire truck attracted teslas over 100000 self-absorbed distracted idiots any day.
gimme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #95
Millstonemike
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme30 View Post
....or makeup table for women who're going to be putting it on whether they're driving ...
Even the current state of self driving has to safer than that.
Millstonemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #96
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I'm hoping they perfect it before I'm unable to drive any more, I know losing mobility will really suck!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #97
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
The only way self drivers could possibly be successful is if EVERY ucar on the road is a self driver.....and by that time, unless real cars are legislated off the road, I'll be in the bone yard, thank God....

And I'd like to see them try to legislate real cars off the road....they'll have to pry steering wheels out of cold, dead hands!
Old 02-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #98
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
Old HOBO maybe one of those self-absorbed distracted idiots will help you along, sooner rather than later.
I really don't see self driving cars in the near future.
One or two by themselves might work but what happens
when there are 20 or 30 cars in the near vicinity and signals get mixed up.
Or changing weather and road conditions?
There are just so many variables it's going to take some serious computing
power to overcome this and I don't think we're there yet.

Magic
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #99
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

It's clear we're not there yet or we wouldn't be talking about self-driving cars crashing. I can see where idiot drivers could take out a self-driving car and it not being the self-driving at fault. However, when there's a one-car accident with a self-driving car, there's not another car to blame.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #100
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Thanks for the good wishes, Magic....and to you as well......