Want to build an empire- For CHEAP! - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #21
VTtrainguy
Hobo

I've seen an "around the ceiling" HO layout that had 3 inch high strips of plexiglass along the room side face which kept any footloose rolling stock from taking a dive. It was landscaped, with bridges constructed of used Popsicle sticks over each door or hallway. These had no plexi, depending on their railings to restrain suicidal trains. The roadbed was built on cheap used 2x3s which were supported on foam rubber "shock absorbers" cut from throwaway upholstery sitting on angle brackets constructed of scrap 2by material. As the scenery progressed around the room, bit by bit the plexi came down, as it's restraint function was taken up by strategically placed foliage. The visual effect was made more interesting as the train "weaved" in and out of "the woods" and ran across the bridges. At two locations the shelf widened to a 2x4, allowing a siding and a couple of false front industries and a couple of passenger stations on the wall behind the tracks. At first it had problems with voltage drop in the rails and stalled trains at the far end from the power tap. This was fixed by running a 12 awg feed line all the way around the room under the roadbed with feeders to the tracks every few feet. Maybe some of these ideas would work for you.
VTtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #22
csm672
Hobo

Scales Modeled: Not sure yet, but have O and N
OK, you guys are giving me some great ideas. I'm reading up on some stuff and I am getting educated. Still not sure what scale I'm going to be able to go with or if I'm even going to be able to incorporate a yard into the mainline. There may be a solution with the helix or elevator, just have to look to see if I have the room to incorporate them. I have a wide hallway about 12' long that I wanted to get a yard in, but it will be tough to drop it down that far in that amount of space (have doors on both ends of that spot). So maybe run my O scale around the loop and get some of the toy stuff in the corners and go with a point to point with a good yard in the hallway? I was hoping to go all in with one scale but it's not looking good for that plan! I'm really grateful for the ideas so far, when I narrow it down to a couple options I'll post for more advice. You guys are great!
csm672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #23
NewTexan
Hobo

I have both O and HO scale trains. If you want long trains and something visible on a wall shelf I might suggest HO as a good compromise. HO will offer the most options especially for cheap used equipment. Whatever scale you decide upon, create a detailed plan on paper and revise it several times before you start buying or building. Good luck!
NewTexan is offline   Reply With Quote