No apologizes. I really enjoy watching trains run. It all started many years ago when on Christmas morning I woke up to find a Marx train running on a loop of track under our Christmas tree. Like many other guys guys on this forum I was hooked on trains at an early age.
I am now in my early 70’s and still get a great deal of pleasure just watching ‘em run.
I am having a layout built by PMD (Progressive Model Design) of Romeoville, Illinois which is about 25 miles from my house. I had been in contact with PMD for 7 month before the actual build started. They were in the final stages of a HO layout for a client on the west coast and I needed that project to wrap up before they could start mine. That was fine, as I got to view that layout with 95% of the scenery in place. Seeing this helped me make up my mind that PMD was right for me.
My build started on December 28, 2018 and I expect delivery the end of September / early October. I have taken several pictures of the process and will start posting them soon. For now I will list some facts about the build and post a reasonable facsimile of the track plan.
Yes, my layout is a loop. Actually two loops. This allows me to sit back, relax and let them run in opposite directions if I choose or in the same direction depending on my mood.
1. The layout is HO.
2. Outside dimensions 22’ x 11’
3. ALL track is Peco code 83
4. ALL turnouts are Peco #8’s - none are manual.
5. Each main line is divided 10 blocks.
6. Each yard track is divided into 2 blocks.
7. My plan is to use TrainController to automate the entire layout, with the option of each main line manually when my train buddies are over.
8. Every mainline curve has easements into and out of the curve and is super elevated.
9. Every elevation change also uses an easement at the base and summit.
10. Signaling, while not prototypical will be installed along each main to provide “eye candy”.
11.A lift gate on the left side (with a gas piston installed) will allow easy access into the layout for operators.
Track Plan: The scenery has changed quite a bit but the track plan is pretty true.