Dremel 7700 battery rotary tool, anyone use this? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
nrscroller
Gang Labourer

Dremel 7700 battery rotary tool, anyone use this?

Hi
I wanted to get this tool at Walmart for just punching holes in my homosote to plant trees etc. I have corded dremels but thought this would be handier. Anyone using this and is it any good. I had an older battery one once and it was junk
Thanks
Bill
nrscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
I have an older, battery powered one -- shaped like a pistol with an integrated Lithium Ion cell, and it's awesome.

I don't know about this one (a link to it would have been nice). It is powered by a NiCad battery, which is very, very 1990's at this point, and it appears to have only two speeds, rather than the infinite variability of most Dremels. My vote would be "not worth it".

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Severn
Engineer

I have a 8220. It was on sale at hd over the winter. I recall about 85 or 90$. I used it to cut o gauge atlas rail. I used the cutter included but then bought another.
I like it but its been one job only so far. Beat my hack saw attempts though by far. It threw off little burrs though. Safety wear strongly recommend...
Severn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
If NiCad, not worth it. Never could keep any of those NiCad battery operated screwdrivers to work very long. My little Sears Lithium Ion Screwdriver has gone for years! I recall getting some old surplus NiCad's, They came from I think Nike Missiles, they were charged just before launch and never recovered. Seemed to work that way no matter how you wanted to use them, They were never charged when you needed them and then after a while they started to have "Memory" and would not charge!
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I have the Dremel 8220, it's a beast, and I hardly ever look for the corded models now. I also have a Dremel 4000, another beast, it's one trick over the 8220 is it has constant speed, so it doesn't bog down even with heavy work.

I love the 8220, and I highly recommend it. I've been using it for a couple of years, and it's my go-to Dremel. It must have hundreds of hours on it by now, I use it every day, sometimes many times a day. Good battery life, loads of power, and it's nothing like the old battery powered stuff!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
I had a 7700. It worked fine for a little while. After the first battery didn’t seem to take a charge, I got a new battery, but then something else (I don’t recall the specifics) went bad with the tool. I know there are better cordless models, but the 7700 turned me off to cordless Dremels so I’m now using a corded model 4000.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Bob, I really like the 4000, but the convenience of cordless really got me. With the 8220, I get the performance of a corded model with no cord.

The Dremel 7700 is a low-end model with two speeds, the 8220 is a much more robust tool with fully adjustable speeds and a 12V Lithium battery pack. I've recharged mine many times, and they hold their charge well, and the tool has impressive run times before I need to swap out the battery.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
i don't use anything but the corded version [both genuine and copies] so i'm not much help .. i do have some cordless tools [impact, drill, screwdriver] and the Li-ion versions are decent, the NiCad not so so much .. mostly Milwaukee [sp?]

wvgca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I have a Milwaukee drill and impact driver with the 18V Lithium batteries, they've been excellent. I use my DeWalt DCS680 inertia screwdriver with the Lithium batteries every day, that's another winner.

I'm sold on battery powered tools now that they've started using Lithium batteries that have decent run time, I refused to buy NiCad powered stuff after early failures with the technology.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
Bob, I really like the 4000, but the convenience of cordless really got me. With the 8220, I get the performance of a corded model with no cord.

The Dremel 7700 is a low-end model with two speeds, the 8220 is a much more robust tool with fully adjustable speeds and a 12V Lithium battery pack. I've recharged mine many times, and they hold their charge well, and the tool has impressive run times before I need to swap out the battery.
If I used it as much as you do, I would probably get a good quality cordless, but for my infrequent use, the corded version works fine.