Great Northern 25' wooden caboose kit build - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
SRV1
Conductor

Great Northern 25' wooden caboose kit build

Hey guys. Thought Id start a build thread for this. Im not sure if this is the best forum to post this but if it isnt the staff is welcome to move it.

Going to build this GN HO caboose for my future layout. With any luck at all its going to have working lights too. Everythings here but the decals. Aiming for a mid to late 30s version so it will have to be modded somewhat and will have paint adjustments made.

No guarantees how fast or slow this happens but Ill check in with progress from time to time.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
SRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
doorman29
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
I'll be watching.
doorman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
SRV1
Conductor

Re: Great Northern 25' wooden caboose kit build

Ive decided I will build the 1940 version after all just because I prefer the look of it.
Thats what the kit is so it wont require the mods. Just the proper combo of decals (which im accidentally going to have 3 sheets to use from now!) Itll be left with fresh paint and little weathering, like it practically just left the shop with its updates.

Couple more things on the way for this project. Im replacing the metal trucks with nice plastic ones to avoid the risk of electrical shorts. I also have some wheel wiper pickups shipping at this time. I like these because of the perfectly sized insulators which allow for power off of all wheels instead of only using one side on each truck. Should work real well.
Have an interior kit and reference sheets ordered from GNRHS and on the way. Should have some time next week. Hope to hit the ground running. Will likely be modeling x582 but not in stone yet.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
wingnut163
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO/small N
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
Ive decided I will build the 1940 version after all just because I prefer the look of it.
Thats what the kit is so it wont require the mods. Just the proper combo of decals (which im accidentally going to have 3 sheets to use from now!) Itll be left with fresh paint and little weathering, like it practically just left the shop with its updates.

Couple more things on the way for this project. Im replacing the metal trucks with nice plastic ones to avoid the risk of electrical shorts. I also have some wheel wiper pickups shipping at this time. I like these because of the perfectly sized insulators which allow for power off of all wheels instead of only using one side on each truck. Should work real well.
Have an interior kit and reference sheets ordered from GNRHS and on the way. Should have some time next week. Hope to hit the ground running. Will likely be modeling x582 but not in stone yet.

maybe i did not read it right but how do you get electric from the tracks with wipes off plastic wheels???
wingnut163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
SRV1
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut163 View Post
maybe i did not read it right but how do you get electric from the tracks with wipes off plastic wheels???
The new trucks are plastic. I installed metal wheels into them.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
SRV1
Conductor

Well its underway. I cut out the subwalls for it tonight and glued them together. (Then it officialy hit me how small a 25' HO caboose is. )

After a dry fit, I used Titebond original wood glue. Its good stuff but you dont have alot of working time with it. Especially when applying it thin.

I applied glue with a toothpick to the tabs and slapped the walls together quickly. Good tight fit. Was careful not to glue the walls to the floor so the body can lift off later. I then applied some extra glue to the corners inside to beef it up a bit.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
SRV1
Conductor

Then I cut out the roof formers and glued them in place. Everything is so smooth and flush so far I dont think Im going to bother sanding the joints.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
SRV1
Conductor

Next, the laser etched balsa side panels are cut out. They have an adhesive backing.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
SRV1
Conductor

First the ends. You can lay it down lightly to get things lined up and then final press in across surface. The ends required very minor sanding at a couple locations to get them flush.
Then I blew it off with a can of air and applied the sides.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
ZebraCakez
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Looks like it's coming along well, nice job.

"Zebracakez"

Anything HO, Anything east coast.
ZebraCakez is offline   Reply With Quote