Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I no sooner get a package of tires along with my new ÖBB coach for DB Br.111, and ÖBB 2143 throws a tire.

Now, thinking I might get lucky and they share the same wheel set diameter I proceed to pull a couple of new tires out of the package. Wrong. Wheel size is about 1.5mm smaller on 2143.

The tires fit, but they don't fit very tightly. I ended up taking one of the new ones off and replacing it with one of the old ones. The other side was chewed up, so the new, looser tire is staying on until I can get another set of tires ordered for 2143.

2143 is limping along but I don't know how long that better tire will last or if the new tire will stay on the wheel until I can get the correct size.

2143 is pulling a heavy train of six coaches up a 5%+ grade and really needs those traction tires.

At least Br.111 is back in service.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. The wheels on my locomotives are all grooved for tires.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Funnily I never noticed this on HO. But common on O of course. Maybe I should take a closer look. I think in theory I'd rather just have metal to metal. I've "blown" a tired on O before and just ignored it... which hasn't seemed to make any difference at all.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you inspect the wheels on your new ACME locomotive one of the axles will have tires on the wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts