Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a message from a new member here at MTF. He goes by the name “Raelynn“. His one and only post was to send me a note saying a friend of his has a 3rd Rail Erie caboose for sale. I contacted the lead at the email provided. We wanted me to pay through Venmo, which isn’t designed for unfamiliar persons to buy and sell with.

we negotiated a price and then his emails became more rambling and spelling and grammar were poor. I researched his account on Venmo but it wouldn’t come up. The name the contact was using was “Vance Loadholt”. I did a google search and his name came up as a scammer on a Jeep site I found.

same M.O. and situation where a potential buyer was contacted by a member with no posts and short history at that site. He couldn’t come up with a proper Vemno account name and he told me how he doesn’t use PayPal as he was scammed there before. He used the same line with the fellow at the Jeep site.

Be warned!

Tom FD51D1F9-892B-4E14-856E-02CB8D359F1F.png

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
These people should be strung up by their sack and flogged.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes! My hopes were up until the Venmo thing was discussed. When I found the similarities with the post at the Jeep site, that put the brakes on the deal for sure.

The Jeep site had his name and address shown as in Texas.
Tom

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably a spoof....most likely in India...

Tom

·
Registered
485 Posts
Texas has their share of thieves. My nephew is a traveling welder by trade. He had a job in Austin. Parked his welding rig at the motel. Next morning the rig was long gone. He reported it to the cops. But all they said was that it was probably in Mexico where they have no jurisdiction.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thank you
Krieglok for this post!! I posted a wanted for a BLI SD40-2 shell a while back and Raelynn sent me a Message telling me about someone in Texas that has one. This time He goes by the name of Kell Williams at [email protected] (Just so everyone knows). Now who would not like this shell?? If it was not for this post and the fact that he only has one post here I may have "Bought" this and lost money. I would do only Paypal but you never know.
Thanks again!!
Screenshot_20200417-044643.png

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
That looks like a computer generated image to me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You would be correct. When they emailed the pics they looked strange as in almost perfect. Someone without prior knowledge of this person or not knowing about the fake pics could "Fall for it" this should be stickeyed in the wanted section as well as this one seeing that they are still "Fishing"

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you didn’t get taken, Bewhole.

when he sent me pics of what I wanted, they were the old images off google that appeared when doing a search. They were old pics. That was when I told him to go EFF himself. Scum.

Tom

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He also uses a Venmo account by the name of “@kimberly-Mcart“.

Venmo is a Paypal concern, but once you transfer money, you can never get it back. Just like with PayPal “Friends and Family”....

Tom

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have not been on the forum much at all the past few weeks. I did pop over for a short stay maybe a week or so ago. I too had a message from Mr. Scammer here. I am not a easy person honestly to scam so I immediately knew after reading A few words of this persons message that something was off.

After reading the message the account was already banned so I didn’t put any more thought into it. I wouldn’t have replied anyway because the wording/approach was just odd. However, since it was mentioned here I thought I would share the information I had.

This person was responding to a WTB ad I placed some time back looking for the lacking Heritage units to make up the collection. I have since acquired them through outside sources.

You can really tell people like this have no idea what they are talking about really quick. They refer to another person to contact which to me is a red flag. They also say “they have it”. There is no “it” when looking for 5 different things. They also point out this person lives in Texas. Why do I need to know that immediately? I don’t because I know that we are all from all over the world so the state is irrelevant this early in conversation. It also tells me this person probably lives abroad in India, Pakistan or similar just by the way they use Texas right away in a short message.

See below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts