Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have bought to much and should lighten what I have. No, I don't want to but my layout is only 8' x 10' and how much could you put on a layout that size. I need to sell engines and rolling stock. I looked on E-Bay as to what the value is and wasn't happy with the sale value. I didn't buy things to make money but to sell things at half of what I payed is bad. I would sooner keep everything. Any ideas? How do you know worth? Lionel is easy but MTH, Weaver, Old K-Line, and Williams there is no books I know of. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I didn't buy things to make money but to sell things at half of what I payed is bad. I would sooner keep everything. Any ideas?
This will happen if you pay anything close to MSRP for an item :(

Post up what you have for MTH and maybe I will be able to help price some things...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay Pa. votes are coming in. 30-1478-1 K4 Imperial, 30-73181 Kennywood Jack Rabbit tank car, 30-2414-1 P&LE GP-7, 30-4106E-1 P&LE 2-8-0 PS-2 set break down, 30-6788 Pennsy 60' streamline full length vista dome, 30-67141 P&LE 4 car 60' streamline passanger set, 20-97597 Aliquippa and Southern 2 bay hopper, 20-97525 Aliquippa and Southern 2 bay hoppers #17653 & #17650, and 20-97538 Pittsburgh & Shawmuth 2 bay hoppers # 5862 & #5987. I guess thats it for now. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you could use more info. The K-4 about 3 laps around a 8' x 10' layout. kennywood car new in box, GP-7 about 3 hours run time, 2-8-0 about 10 hours, vista dome and P&LE 4 car about 10 hours, Aliquippa and Southern all new in box, and th Pittsburgh and Shawmutt very light use. Thanks Again, Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Boston & Maine, I did pay retail for most and I did use the product locater on MTH website for pricing. They had most except some uncataloged with a list of -9999.00. I just wish there was a current Greenburg book for MTH. IAfter getting all the list prices I added up what I got in MTH not counting track, switches, signals, and transformers. I think it's to much. I would never give you or anyone this list to look up. It was bad enough for me on the product locater. Railking: 13 engines, 3 passenger sets, 3 RTR, 3 caboose, and 53 cars. Premier: 4 engines, 1 passenger set, 5 caboose, and 31 cars. Is there any other source for current value I can use?
I'll pick up the new Greenburg book for my Lionel. But still don't know where to look for Weaver, Williams, K-Line, and Atlas.
I have a couple of RMT's not a big deal.
Any other sources where I can find current value for my trains?

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have not had time to look up the few you listed yet, sorry... I will give you this generalization now though, based on my experiences:

For one, the train market is down, just like the rest of the economy... Even if you had a price guide for MTH, Atlas, etc., you probably still would not even see items selling for the amounts listed in the books... Since there is no book for these manufacturers, the only way to find the true worth of your item is to see how much others have sold them for and average all of those amounts together...

Normally, when I am buying MTH Premier Line rolling stock, I try to not pay more than $30 for a "mint in box" car... With your MIB A&S 2-bay hoppers, I doubt that you will ever see more than $30 a piece for them... For the used P&S 2-bay hoppers, around $20, maybe $25 if you are lucky... Part of the problem with selling trains is that people are going to have to pay for shipping, which will reduce the amount that they want to pay for the items themselves... So, you may be able to get more money if you sell them locally through Craigslist or eBay Classifieds...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boston & Maine,
Thanks for the info. That is about what I thought you would say. I guess I should sit on them till things with the economy get better. I don't really need to sell right now, just to much in the way. Not much room to store. I could wait till the next local TCA show in the fall, or one of the local fleamarkets. No tax or shipping might help.
A lot of the stuff I have is new in the box. Some even have cellophane still on and not cut. Two Kennywood cars still in the shipping box unopened ( not the Arrow car I wish ).
I saw on the TCA Exchange someone is selling the first Islays boxcar for $250.00. I have one new in the box and would never pay that much for it.
I also have all the Lionel alcohol car except Cutty Sark. New in the box unrun. I had to replace one truck on the Jim Beam car. Got broken in shipping.
I guess I'll wait.

Thanks, Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts