Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get semaphore signals to operate on my 009 layout, I have a small industrial section, 2 loops, and a dual gauge section containing a roundhouse and a couple of repair sheds. my problem seems to be figuring out how to operate the signal heads... small model aircraft servos tend to do a good job if I can keep them from over actuating the heads, not sure if switch motor would work any better yet. Another problem I am running into is figuring out where which signal is best used.

layout specs
-DCC digitrax dcs150 as track power/command station
-digitrax prc3 for the interface
-JMRI as a computer controller
-multiple digitrax src16 stationary decoders, for lights, switches, and turnout control going into (arduino's used as digital servo controller)
-Digikiji current sensing block detectors.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a fun scale to work with in the US,

I found some old stuff a couple years ago, that we had in storage for years since we moved back to the US from England that I had almost forgotten about. since then I have expanded the rolling stock inventory and started to get back into it... I occasionally order a new wagon or coach kit from eBay when I find one, but it's not as readily available over on this side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The Viessmann semaphores I use have a very thin tempered wire used to actuate the semaphore arms. Very similar to guitar string but oxidized black. Might even be black wire.

If friction is kept to a minimum and the arms are moving freely, bending shouldn't be a problem if they are the correct length.

Viessmann offers an electro-mechanical actuator of the type used in their semaphores. This might be of some help to you, but you would still have to figure out the linkages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Viessmann semaphores I use have a very thin tempered wire used to actuate the semaphore arms. Very similar to guitar string but oxidized black. Might even be black wire.

If friction is kept to a minimum and the arms are moving freely, bending shouldn't be a problem if they are the correct length.

Viessmann offers an electro-mechanical actuator of the type used in their semaphores. This might be of some help to you, but you would still have to figure out the linkages.

I have ordered a couple actuators that look very similar to those, we'll see if they will work the throw appears to be about the right lingth for what i need, I'll keep this updated vids when they get here and installed.

Tim

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The actuator pictured operates like a twin-coil switch machine. Power is only momentarily applied to change the aspect indicator and arms. If power is continuously applied it will burn out the mechanism. Quickly.

I'm not certain what you ordered or how they operate, but if they are the same as the Viessmann, take warning. Viessman is also sold under the Roco name.

I am using two magnetic reed switches mounted between the rail ties and two relays, one for each aspect change. The magnetic reed switches are operated by Alnico magnets mounted on the bottom of the locomotives. They open and close quickly to trip the relay and momentarily apply power to the actuator.

You could also use photo-electric cells or IR detectors to actuate them too.

The reason for the relays is because the magnetic reed switches are not rated for the current and voltage required to operate the actuator. I'm using 5VDC to energize the coil for the reed switches and the other side of the relay operates a 15VDC 400ma circuit for the semaphore actuators.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the actuators I ordered are the dual coil like those, my switch that should work with the "Team Digital SRC16" stationary decoders that I use for my switch machines. I use DCC with block detection and JMRI to operate most of the layout already, so integration of those should be quick and easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts