Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired several 022 switches that someone discarded as junk. I was able to get them all in working order except for one. The problem with it is the motor plunger will retract, but not thrust. It doesn't buzz or even make an attempt to move, it just seems dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think one of the coils is fried. I hooked a power lead to the center fixed voltage pin, and touched the other lead to the rear motor coil and it retracts perfectly. Then when I touch the front motor coil nothing happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the wires to the posts closely, they frequently are loose. Unless you see evidence of overheating, the coil is probably OK.
I checked the wires and they seem intact. I even looked with a magnifying glass. I'll re-check them though. The coil wrapping is not burnt looking. Oddly enough, one of the other switches in the lot had burnt coil wrapping, but works perfectly after cleaning, re-soldering and replacing some questionable wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I re-checked the wires and all that I can see are intact. When I test with two power leads as described previously, the motor retracts when I touch the coil rivet. When I repeat the process on the forward coil rivet, I get nothing. BUT, if I touch the lead to the interior of the rivet, viola! I get that forward thrust that is so elusive. I think I'll revisit the solder gun and see if I can drip some into the interior of the rivet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gunrunner, you're right on. I took your advice and just heated enough to melt the old solder. Checked it out and it works perfectly. Thank you very much! That switch is the missing link to my new layout plan, and now I can start building.

TJ. I also can't thank you enough for the links. The first one lead me to how to test the coil.

Between you and Gunrunner, I got 'er done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts