Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a figure 8 layout, with two sets of 022 switches inserted to allow trains to reverse direction without backing up, by going through the middle of the figure 8. I wired the switches according to the 022 instructions sheet (connected constant voltage pins together, and wired them to the power terminal of the auxilliary transformer, insulating pins installed properly). I want to run the switches independently of the main power source transformer.

When I turned the transformers on, the train ran fine, but I had no control of the switches. When I pulled out the constant voltaage pins, the switches operated fine off the track power, but I could not slow the train down without jeopardizing the action of the switches. How do I wire the two sets of switches in a manner that will alow me to operate them off of their personal transformer, independent of the main power supply transformer?

·
Admin
44,226 Posts
Are you SURE you have the common for the switches the same as the common for the track (outside rail)? Other than that, I don't know what's wrong.

You can wire them to a separate transformer, just make sure the common of both transformers are together. You should also "phase" the transformers to make sure there can be no conflict.

I've wired 022's both ways and it's never been an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts