Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ah! Ha! Looks like maybe a Menards 4 piece new issue boxcar variety dealer's pack special. Or just 4 new issue boxcars sold separately. Guess we will find out next week. I am a likin what I see there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What will be banned, Cartoon wise, next. Will Yosemite Sam lose his twin six shooters? Even Foghorn Leghorn may have to lose his Southern Drawl and not mention the word boy at any time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look what Elmer did!

Introducing four new weathered boxcars, each with unique graffiti designs on both sides.

Click here to shop now >

Graffiti Boxcars.jpg

The basics: O gauge boxcars with plastic body, metal wheels and couplers, and colorful graphics. The cars are gently weathered to simulate years of service and feature realistic looking simulated graffiti. The cars are 11 inches long, 2-3/8 inches wide, and 3-3/8 inches high. The cars can operate on O-27 or wider diameter curved track.

Why you need this: Whether in a movie or rolling down the track, you’ve most likely seen a train with graffiti painted on it. Right or wrong, graffiti is commonplace among railroading and Menards is helping to add that boost of realism to your layout. The cars look like they have been in service, but have years to go before they’ll see a scrap line!

Road name and graphics are authentic and are stylishly applied. These freight cars are gently weathered with residue of what looks like several years of riding the rails. Like actual freight cars, the grime accumulates at spots where wind, rain, and snow force it to accumulate. The weathering does not obscure any detailing or lettering. The graffiti on the other hand, is crisp and unweathered like it was freshly "tagged" by a renegade artist.

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

·
Registered
415 Posts
These cars are well executed and probably of the same Menards quality we expect. Unfortunately I am not into Graffiti of any sort in the real world much less depicted on toys. It is illegal to do this to real, Buildings , Railroad equipment, Public places etc. The only exception would be if the Graffiti artist had permission of the owner's of said places to do so. Leave the Graffiti off but keep the weathered look and Menards would have a winner here for sure.

JIMHO

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I am guessing that these boxcars are old stock sitting in the DC and have been graffiti decaled to reduce stock. I think maybe a coating of dulcoat would reduce the brightness. I will probably get the BN and test the dulcoat theory.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
When boxcars lettered for these roadnames were around, tagging wasn’t a big thing. It is a thing that started about 15-20 years ago.

Nice try, but I too, do not depict graffiti on any of my models. I see it too much in everyday life.

Chalk marks, on the other hand, were very common in the industry. Railroad chalk was a common tool carried by trainmen, switch men and car inspectors, used to mark cars for various reasons. Some are well known such as “Herbie” and “Bozo Texino”...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is the Graffiti painted on or a decal? If a decal could it be safely removed from the weathered car? I like the green BN boxcar the best of the 4 cars offered except for the Graffiti. One other thing here. I do not care for changing White Guy Elmer Fudd's frustrated hunter character into a spray can toting criminal Graffiti artist. Where does Bugs Bunny come in on the Graffiti scenario by the way?

JUST MY $0.02 WORTH

1 - 20 of 40 Posts