Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
We all have an opinion on graffiti. I will have graffiti cars. There is more than enough rolling stock to have both. I watch a lot of trains. I moved to Iowa Falls, Iowa and I travel extensively for work. Graffiti is prevalent. Therefore, realism on layouts dictates that yo weather and put graffiti on rolling stock. I've got 2-3 weathered cars, all purchased. I've purchased some of the graffiti decals off ebay but never put them on. I will in the coming months do both graffiti and weathering.

The bottom line is Menards cars are not true 1:48 so I am limiting my purchase of them. Menards fills a void as we know in the hobby and outside of new road names and such, had to change up the box car offerings. This is a GREAT idea on their part and I will purchase the 4 road names in weathering/graffiti.

Just like with MTH going away, we need to support manufacturers and players in the O Scale hobby or we may not have much in 10 years, and I'll only be 66 then, with as many as 15 + more years left. (god willing)

It pains me to think that we will only have Lionel twice a year to buy new O Scale from. Menards needs to consider a "Premium" line of true 1:48 rolling stock. If these cars are $20 to $25 each, I would gladly pay $35-$40 for nicer premium O Scale when new Lionel will be $75 to $85 in a couple of years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'll support any manufacturer who moves their production from China to either the U.S. or a country friendly to the U.S.
Until then, I'm not supporting any toy trains made in China. I will support LaBelle, Downtown Deco, Bar-Mills, Scale City, Berkshire Valley, and all the glorious companies of the past who manufactured right here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've never liked "graffiti" cars from any of the manufacturers. I find the real life ones an eye-sore.

Also not a fan of the Menards cars. I recently sold the few I had. We have two Menards stores in our area, so easy to get when they have them in the stores. However, I don't like the size/shape of the boxcars - basically they are the Williams design. And, the trucks are terrible. You basically have to crash into the car to get the coupler to close. Then, the last one I bought last year kept shorting out. Turns out the uncoupling "plate" on the bottom of both couplers was hanging so low they were touching the center rail. That went back the next day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll support any manufacturer who moves their production from China to either the U.S. or a country friendly to the U.S.
Until then, I'm not supporting any toy trains made in China. I will support LaBelle, Downtown Deco, Bar-Mills, Scale City, Berkshire Valley, and all the glorious companies of the past who manufactured right here.

then i hope you do not use these products as most are made in chine
Energy-Saving Lamps
Clothing
Cement
Shoes
Air Conditioners
Solar Cells
Mobile Phones
Personal Computers

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes, Bigd, I'll still have to purchase items that are made in China if there are no alternatives, including parts needed to repair items I already own, but as far as new toy trains, I don't have to, so I won't.
Menards is my favorite home improvement store. I'm there at least once a week.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Product made in China is so dominant in our society it is very difficult to eliminate purchasing their product. Sometimes when I purchase a item made in China for $2.00 or so I ask myself how in the world can they manufacture this item for $2.00 and how can anyone make a buck. There is the manufacture, the shipper, the distributor, and the retailer all involved with getting the item to you.

Menards sells their boxcars for $20, it does not have scale detail but neither does Lionel traditional boxcars that sell for $40 to $60 or more. I am guessing that Lionel's profit margin is substantial on their traditional line of rolling stock.

Bill

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
then i hope you do not use these products as most are made in chine
Energy-Saving Lamps
Clothing
Cement
Shoes
Air Conditioners
Solar Cells
Mobile Phones
Personal Computers
You forgot cars and trucks....loaded with parts made off-shore, and of course, replacement parts.....and mostly because these “North American” companies want cheap labour and maximum profit.....maybe blame them first?

Start walking if you don’t like it....

·
Registered
415 Posts
You forgot cars and trucks....loaded with parts made off-shore, and of course, replacement parts.....and mostly because these “North American” companies want cheap labour and maximum profit.....maybe blame them first?
My Daughter's Car, 2013 Chev. Impala needed a front wheel bearing assembly recently. I tried to find a USA made replacement for it but did not have any luck. Seems that China has the market sewn up for the most part. Even name USA brands such as Timken & National are China made. Timken & National may still make bearings in the USA but not for GM Front Wheel Drive vehicles like the Impala.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As stated twice previously, Obviously, things must be purchased from China because that's all there is. Toy trains are a luxury item, and don't need to be purchased. I can't make that any more clear. One more time, to keep my current trains running, I'm sure I'll have to purchase parts made in China. I don't have to purchase any new trains made in China, though. That's my choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As stated twice previously, Obviously, things must be purchased from China because that's all there is. Toy trains are a luxury item, and don't need to be purchased. I can't make that any more clear. One more time, to keep my current trains running, I'm sure I'll have to purchase parts made in China. I don't have to purchase any new trains made in China, though. That's my choice.
Yes, I agree with your sentiments. I buy USA/Canada made when possible, after that products from any other country that has a democracy form of government. The closer to home an item is manufactured the better to support workers - my neighbors, really.

I don't blame China or the Chinease for making things, or making things at a lower cost than here. That's their economy and as they continue to develop, costs are rapidly rising. The fault really lies with us, the consumer, and companies looking to keep profits up. If consumers refused to buy less expensive products made in another country, there'd be no market, and companies wouldn't source things there. We've been trained into a consumer mentality which is based on the "throw away" economy. For me, I learned from my grandparents to buy once, buy high quality.

Lionel closed it's Michigan factory in 2001 because it probably didn't have much choice if it was to be competitive with all of the other model train companies making their items in China and South Korea. I'm guessing the only reason Lionel is now offering a few items "made in USA" is because of collector demand similar to sentiments expressed here. On the other hand, I suspect they closed the Michigan headquarters because overall costs were cheaper in North Carolina and they were able to significantly downsize. Remember, Lionel is owned by an investment group that's looking for a return on their investment. In my view, the owners couldn't care less about toy trains.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Think about it.....we wouldn’t be having this conversation here if we didn’t use product that was made in China....computers, tablets cell phones..... and why was it made there? One reason......price.....we all want stuff cheaper, and guess where the big corporations are going to get the stuff made that gives them maximum profit....

I‘ll buy trains made in China, no problem.....until the same quality stuff can be made in North America at the same price, which won’t be anytime soon......

21 - 40 of 40 Posts