Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,612 Posts
And yet no one has said a peep here other than to say...

"it's a test"

"It's a beta"

"It's a toy"

All the wonderful excuses as to why its acceptable to skip over this detail but not ONE single solitary person to step up and say...you know what, that is a mistake that should be addressed.

I'm done here. Obviously this glaring omission is acceptable to everyone else, it isn't to me. See ya.

Feel free to delete my account admins as I'm not returning.
Don’t let the door hit you in the butt as you leave….🤣

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts

"it's a test"

"It's a beta"

"It's a toy"

All the wonderful excuses as to why its acceptable to skip over this detail but not ONE single solitary person to step up and say...you know what, that is a mistake that should be addressed.

I'm done here. Obviously this glaring omission is acceptable to everyone else, it isn't to me. See ya.

did you get one to evaluate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What I was trying to say earlier but could not get a picture loaded up is this. If Menards will make an F-3 or F-7 that looks like this I will buy it. Only thing I’ll ask is ‘AA’ or ‘ABA’.

·
Registered
872 Posts

"it's a test"

"It's a beta"

"It's a toy"

Sorry you are so sensitive to counter point. We don’t have to agree with each other. I read your comments with interest. I am an MTH fan and there is another member on here who is a Lionel loyalist and we simply agree to disagree.
So, I would say comparing anything from the 50s to now is not an apples to apples comparison. Show me those trains and although they might have some of these items overall I’ll bet they don’t compare.
I limit my eBay searches to 1997 or so. I have a couple of single motor Lionels that lack detail. I am not sure that’s what you are talking about.

·
Registered
872 Posts
By the way I am so dumb I have no idea what an FP7 is. I know my usual suspects GP 7/9/35 and F as a class but never heard of an FP. I think it must have a car body. I have catalogs, books, even Rock Island roster books from 1970s but never heard of an FP7.

·
Premium Member
10,612 Posts
F for F unit….P for passenger…..their bodies were longer to accommodate a water tank and steam generator to heat the passenger cars….which is what this Menards locomotive really is….not an F3…..

EMD FP7

EMD also made an FP9….

·
Premium Member
10,612 Posts
I saw a YT video last night where the guy did a great review and solved the jack rabbit startup problem by lowering the voltage. He has two videos posted. The first link below is for the first video where he discusses the jackrabbit startup problem. Link #2 is his follow-up. He does a nice informative review IMHO.

(11) Menards F3 Locomotive, Beta Unit First Impressions - YouTube

(11) Menards F3 Locomotive, Beta Unit First Impressions, Part 2 - YouTube
Funny he never mentions that the Menards locomotive is not an F3, but really an FP7…..

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
At this ppint I think Menards has probalby received so much feedback it is going to have trouble figuring out what to do. I suggest it just move ahead with its current plan. Don't make any changes. 200 sold out in hours. 2000 would probably sell in days.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
My suggested for Menards is change the description to FP7, that could actually be plus as few before have done one, put white leds behind the number boards, address the jack rabbit starts. The latter is something the end user would have the hardest time fixing without having to resort to these band aid solutions. Those seem to be the biggest gripes.

Pete

·
Registered
173 Posts
At this ppint I think Menards has probalby received so much feedback it is going to have trouble figuring out what to do. I suggest it just move ahead with its current plan. Don't make any changes. 200 sold out in hours. 2000 would probably sell in days.
Well Lee, most of the feedback is pretty repetitive in my opinion. Virtually everyone is recommending the exact same improvements. Don't know how they would have trouble figuring that out.

Besides that, if they choose to not make any changes, I wouldn't be the least bit interested in one, no matter how cheap they set the retail price. For that matter, I'm glad I didn't get in on the initial 200 Beta test units, especially if I had to buy it just to test it! I'll gladly wait for the new, much improved version. ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
To avoid the Jack Rabbit starts just turn the voltage down a tad. Worked for a guy on You Tube.

·
Premium Member
10,612 Posts
They are smart…..had people pay them $150, times 200, to test their locomotive…..thirty grand, for things they should have figured out before they even introduced it….

The locomotive type isn’t even right….did they even research it? And the stainless steel shiny trucks and pilot….

Pretty slipshod….

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope Menard's gets into the o gauge engine world. Just so there would be something to keep Lionel honest? Lionel is going nuts in there prices. I'm a Lionel guy but whet the heck.

Menard's makes some great stuff. I think they will get it right in the end. If they offer another one I'm going to get one.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
It would be nice if Menards had a line of locos. I too have some concerns about their quality from time to time, but I still buy their stuff and have berhaps 100 rolling stock from the company, and many buildings . . .

sure wish K-Line had not imploded years ago, though . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Everything I’ve bought from Menard’s I think is pretty good. And the price is much better than Lionel. I wanted flat cars with Sherman early tanks on them. Lionel want $ 130.00 a piece? To much. MTH made one for allot less. I could not find any from Menards. Lionels Tank looked cheap to me. So I bought a bunch of Tamiya 1/48 tanks and assembled them. Bought a bunch of used Lionel flat cars which I painted. It made a pretty nice army train. Cost less than $ 40.00 each and I had the fun of putting them together. I think Menards made some but I was not able to find any. I’m going to get a water tower from Menards. Lionels is way out of line with there price on the water tower! Just my two cents worth!

81 - 100 of 107 Posts