Model Train Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I love Menards - have MANY of their buildings. This one seems a little too toy like and gimmicky for me. Kind of like their spaceship tractor beaming cows.
Same here. This is somewhat in between eras. Obviously, they are using up the F shells. I have the last Woodland Scenics diner which is very impressive. And authentic. Have been considering another diner.

·
Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
311 Posts
Finally picked up my diner. However, they do not have the trains setup on the main floor yet, so I could not buy the power adapter. They sent me upstairs where they had some train stuff out on an outer wall, but not everything and when I asked about the adapter they were not sure where they were in the hundreds of cardboard boxes the filled the second floor center. So will wait until November to get it. I could jerry rig some plug to my bench supply just to see it work, making assumption center pin is positive and barrel negative.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I love Menards - have MANY of their buildings. This one seems a little too toy like and gimmicky for me. Kind of like their spaceship tractor beaming cows.
Well, I dunno. While I'm not really into the "toy-like" and "gimmicky" aspects of 3-rail O-gauge, I consider this particular item as "prototypically plausible".

After all, look at some of the crazy & wild diners, gas stations, campgrounds, and other tourist stops/attractions along Route 66 back in the 1950's for proof. :cool:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Well I ordered one yesterday. (Friday) I have several of their buildings and have been very happy wiyh all of their purchases.
Yep, I think it will be a real eye catcher on a layout. Menards has put out some terrific & interesting buildings over the past few years. They certainly have made their mark in the electric train hobby.

Bill

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Mine arrived today. (Monday) I ordered it on Friday. That's pretty quick from Wisconsin to Connecticut. 3 days includin the weekend. 6-8 weeks to get the rebate ?
I'd like to keep it lit on the layout but I don't want to keep filling it with water. I'd like to disconnect the smoke.
Yep, Menards uses a 3rd party to process the rebates in Elk Mound Wisconsin. I have never had any issues with receiving the rebate certificate but it does take at least 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Menards finally put out the 3 plug power adapters today!! Bought and lit up the RI diner. Worked as designed, though surprised (disappointed?) that the diner extension in front does not light and have a background of people like Red Owl market and others etc. I have not removed diner from plastic packaging until deciding where to place it. Will look closer to see if way to light it or if windows and doors are just black or clear plastic.
Some times I wish that structure could easily be removed from baseboard, where baseboard might be too large or does not fit the period era. Yes some extra screws but might be convient or if modeler wanted to add/repair say lighting or moving part.
Still good looking.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just had 3 of these new diners arrive today for the local store. The only note is the loose desiccant bag knocked the figures loose.
The water smoke feature also took several minutes for the water to wick up to the transducer and then begin misting.
I personally have worry and concern of basically a humidifier spraying water mist around my layout and trains, but overall the effect did work and was and interesting new idea.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Menards finally put out the 3 plug power adapters today!! Bought and lit up the RI diner. Worked as designed, though surprised (disappointed?) that the diner extension in front does not light and have a background of people like Red Owl market and others etc. I have not removed diner from plastic packaging until deciding where to place it. Will look closer to see if way to light it or if windows and doors are just black or clear plastic.
Some times I wish that structure could easily be removed from baseboard, where baseboard might be too large or does not fit the period era. Yes some extra screws but might be convient or if modeler wanted to add/repair say lighting or moving part.
Still good looking.
Hey, if you get that far, I could mail you several 5 V LEDs on a strip to light the cab. They would play nicely with the Mernards' power supply. You could gauge the level of brightness by the number of LEDs you leave connected to the strip. You'd have to find a spot inside the diner to tap it's "power grid", the ground and +5 V dc leads from the wall adapter :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just had 3 of these new diners arrive today for the local store. The only note is the loose desiccant bag knocked the figures loose.
The water smoke feature also took several minutes for the water to wick up to the transducer and then begin misting.
I personally have worry and concern of basically a humidifier spraying water mist around my layout and trains, but overall the effect did work and was and interesting new idea.
Hi Jetguy,

Would there be any problem with plugging the Rocket Diner in, but not putting any water in the reservoir? I was in my local Menard's today, and they had a Rocket Diner plugged in and lit up for display purposes, but obviously no water in the reservoir.

Sumthin' tells me that this might be okay, but I don't know for sure. I don't know how those transducer thingys work. What say you? Okay to leave dry, or not?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Hi Jetguy,

Would there be any problem with plugging the Rocket Diner in, but not putting any water in the reservoir? I was in my local Menard's today, and they had a Rocket Diner plugged in and lit up for display purposes, but obviously no water in the reservoir.

Sumthin' tells me that this might be okay, but I don't know for sure. I don't know how those transducer thingys work. What say you? Okay to leave dry, or not?
Would have been nice if there had been an on/off switch for the "smoker". Yeah few cents more but why wear out something if not needed or just want to use only for open house.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts