Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I LIKE M&M CANDY

A Christmas livery hopper or gondola full of an M&M assortment of candies from the M&M factory. Or just a 1:48 Diecast truck with an M&M logo.

LATER

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had to give myself 10 units just looking at that picture!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without further adieu, here are the M&Ms train cars! Shop Now >

M&Ms.jpg

In case you miss it, I've attached today's O gauge email.

If you wish to receive these email announcements and special offers, sign up here.

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thanks Menards. You just helped me with something i’ve been pondering the last couple of days. With the Allentown ATMA train show coming up in early November, I was debating whether to bring my MTH collection of M&M’s rolling stock to sell at my 3-table booth. Part of me wasn’t quite ready to say goodbye to them yet. So i’ve been holding off packing them up. And now at roughly $18/car to be “competitive”, I KNOW I’ll be keeping them!!! :p

They’re worth much more to me purely from a perspective of enjoyment, rather than giving them away at $18/each. :rolleyes:

As the saying goes... timing is everything — especially in sales.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rocky,
Just curious but what were you thinking your cars would have been worth with Menards not in the mix?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have a lot of the MTH M&Ms stuff (even set up an M&M's factory using two lionelville buildings for the M&M's side of town)

Looked at the hoppers. I think they would go with my M&M's stuff, or behind a different M&M's engine. BUT - no candy included.

Would have bought a 4 pack or two if they were well "equipped"

The Reese's Pieces ore cars from K-Line have plastic candy "loads" that really make a difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Menards. You just helped me with something i’ve been pondering the last couple of days. With the Allentown ATMA train show coming up in early November, I was debating whether to bring my MTH collection of M&M’s rolling stock to sell at my 3-table booth. Part of me wasn’t quite ready to say goodbye to them yet. So i’ve been holding off packing them up. And now at roughly $18/car to be “competitive”, I KNOW I’ll be keeping them!!! :p

They’re worth much more to me purely from a perspective of enjoyment, rather than giving them away at $18/each. :rolleyes:

As the saying goes... timing is everything — especially in sales.
Having paid a lot more than $18 for MTH M&M cars, I get it. But in a way, I hope Menards sells a ton of their rolling stock at the expense of the other manufacturers. I'd like to see them have enough influence on the market to get others to reduce their prices.

I know the quality is lower but when you consider Lionel has a PEZ boxcar (stuck with the candy theme) that lists for $85, the gap between $18 and $85 isn't commensurate with that difference. I know you can get Lionel for considerably less than the list price, but then again, if you wait a few days, Menard's will have a rebate sale, or give you free trees, or a free truck if you buy one of their train items.

Now, full disclosure here, I only have 3 pieces of Menard's rolling stock (lighted ambulance, army tank, and Santa Fe pick up truck on flat cars all worth it for the vehicle alone) so I'm not moving the market needle with my purchases. I still buy MTH traditional rolling stock for $50 a shot, and Lionel scale rolling stock for a lot more than that, but one can hope that a growing line from Menard's will impact pricing. I doubt they sell enough at the present time to make this happen, but who knows, they keep adding to the inventory.

·
Admin
43,691 Posts
Well, they've sold me about 100 freight cars of various descriptions, so it's moving the needle a little. It's amusing to see vendors at York with Menard's stuff on their tables selling for considerably more than I can buy it new from Menard's! :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nestle + M&M = YUM

I might add these M&M cars to my recently acquired K-Line Nestle train set. Hmm that would be one Sweet consist. I guess that I would have to build or find a Candy Factory some day. Are you listening Menards? :D

LATER

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts