1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG
Use 1/8 nut driver to expose the barrels. The left has dull teeth the right has sharp. Notice the orientation of the barrels. They are off center so only one contact exist at a time from top to bottom.

Have fun putting it back together.The drums first and last those wipers.

Last, I know I don't have the right front bracket for the engine but it works. I need rods to complete it.
Bob

So Dale does this look like your scout?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just to update this thread. Interest is peaking for the Scout motor. I would like to add that this motor does not have an auto reversing unit. The top lever must be moved for the direction.
Forward

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

9/16/09 Thank you for the 150 views!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I would like to add that this motor does not have an auto reversing unit.
It does not? This motor is in the 1110 I just bought... I cannot remember which direction is which, but when I tested it and had the lever in one position it switched directions every time the power was cut (F - R only), and when the lever was in the other position it stayed in one direction (either F or R depending on what it was in last)...

I took the brushes out before I tested it, so maybe I did not reinstall the two toothed drums properly?

After testing I took the wheels off to clean the inside... One of the side pieces is cracked and I want to replace it, so I do not want to reinstall the wheels until the new piece arrives since I do not have a wheel puller ;)

It was a little herkey-jerkey when I was testing it, so maybe after a cleaning it will work better?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
B&M,

As you likely know, there were several Lionel "Scouts" produced over a span of several years. Your 1110 was early in the line (1949-52), and had the so-called Scout-type motor with its internal dual-drum, 2-position (fwd-reverse-fwd-reverse) reversing unit.

The 1061 Scout was later in Lionel life (1963), when Lionel was on a drastic cost-cutting diet. I believe it had no internal reversing unit, with the dual-drums omitted from the motor.

I believe that the 1062 Scout (1963-64) DID have the internal dual-drums with 2-position reversing.

Also, the 1060 Scout (1960) was similar to the 1061, in that it did NOT have dual-drum reversing installed.

(I'll stand corrected here, if need be.)

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
It does not? This motor is in the 1110 I just bought... I cannot remember which direction is which, but when I tested it and had the lever in one position it switched directions every time the power was cut (F - R only), and when the lever was in the other position it stayed in one direction (either F or R depending on what it was in last)...

I took the brushes out before I tested it, so maybe I did not reinstall the two toothed drums properly?

After testing I took the wheels off to clean the inside... One of the side pieces is cracked and I want to replace it, so I do not want to reinstall the wheels until the new piece arrives since I do not have a wheel puller ;)

It was a little herkey-jerkey when I was testing it, so maybe after a cleaning it will work better?

Let the debate begin.:rolleyes:

Now keep them posts nice ....no big flame wars.:D

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Often I am a tiny leap ahead of the wave. I gather information and pass it on. I rechecked and found the 1062 to have a lock position and forward/reverse with no neutral. I am not sure how it does alternate?
So much for argument.
Thanks B&M!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I got a scout train in 1950. The engine had an E relay in it with the lever sticking up through a slot in the boiler. It had fwd-neutral-rev-neutral. It was a die cast engine. I don't remember the number on it. It came with a sheet metal tender, blue gondola, orange Baby Ruth box car, gray tank car, and red caboose. It cost $17 or $17.95. I still have the gondola and the transformer which is a 35 watt transformer. It also had the scout couplers which would not mate with the standard knuckle couplers. If I remember correctly, this set was cataloged in 1950.

Bruce Baker
Bruce Baker

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Bruce,

I think if the loco had a 4-position e-unit (f-n-r-n), then it had a "conventional" e-unit, rather than the "internal dual-drum" reversing mechanism shown here on this thread. There were a lot of various "Scout" types, as you probably know ... some with conventional motors, some with the type shown above.

Cheers,

TJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts