Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acquired over time
Brand mix.

Fortunately I got the Accurails done before my eyesight and steadiness went south.
At least 95% triples & quads.
Only about 20% are weathered. All are extremely free rollers.
The Accurails, and the RTR's that came without loads have coarse-egg resin loads installed.
Pulled by a consist of a BLI RSD-15, and two Proto SD9's.

112 cars plus caboose:

41 Accurail
26 Tangent
19 ExactRail
12 BLI
7 Bowser/Stewart
4 Atlas Trainman
2 AccuReady
1 Rivarossi
1 caboose
--------------

Pictured are the Rivarossi and an AccuReady.

20181029_101553~2.jpg
20181029_100139~4.jpg

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I used to have the Peabody cars in a mixed consist with Illinois Central. Peabody mines were a short distance from here.

We used to ride dirt bikes on the mine roads and have keggers at night with a bonfire.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have the Peabody cars in a mixed consist with Illinois Central. Peabody mines were a short distance from here.
Michael, do they have long coal drags in Europe?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Not really. 20 or 30 cars maybe. It depends upon the terrain and available power. They haul a lot of ore too.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always intended to post a video, but...
Even with a tripod I screw up, and make totally crappy vids...
The train is way too long for my home layout.
Sooner or later, somebody at the club will offer or agree or volunteer to do it for me, and it'll get done.

It does look good though... chugging over the mainline landscape at a blistering 35-45 mph, and lumbering through terminals and grade crossings at 'white-knuckle' speed limits. :LOL:
Soundsapalooza... a bell & horn lover's delight. Goosebumps over long bridge spans.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
45 MPH is about the top limit on my railroad. I usually keep speeds to around 40 MPH for through passenger trains and around 35 MPH for other passenger trains. Any faster doesn't look realistic to me on my railroad. If I had long 30' or 40' straight runs and 50" or 60" radius curves, faster would look better.

On the RhB/ÖBB mountain branch line speeds are not usually greater than 25 MPH even though the prototypes do get up to around 55 and 60 MPH on especially straight sections. Around the winding tracks in the Alps though speeds are usually no greater than 15 to 25 MPH. Sometimes even slower.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FWIW...
The Genesis Big Boy will pull this entire drag for hours without overheating.
It slows down on grade inclines some, but doesn't struggle.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Latestarter, have you noticed the difference between the corner drop steps on the cars? IMO, Accurail makes the finest 3 bay 70 ton ore car in the hobby! Even without separate add-on grabs, they blend in detail-wise with the best detailed cars (Tangent, etc).

I just put together a 3 bay 70 ton CN car.....I have about a dozen 3 bays, and I wouldn’t want any other brand....

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latestarter, have you noticed the difference between the corner drop steps on the cars? IMO, Accurail makes the finest 3 bay 70 ton ore car in the hobby!
I totally agree.
I've always thought that dollar-for-dollar, Accurail was the best bargain on the shelf.
They look superb on the rails, and when TruckTuned with metal wheels will roll as free as anything on the market. Slap on Kadee 148's, and you have a car that's as good or better than anything available, and at bargain cost.
I have Accurail cars that at arm's length look just as good as Tangent, Kadee, or ExactRail, and when mixed with them, you'd never know the difference.
Add to that a veritable endless selection of cars, plus numbering decals for fleet makeup, and there's no comparison.
They also have a warehouse full of spare parts and truckframes... in various colors.
I have almost a hundred Accurails in my inventory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts