Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1689 tries to reverse when it hits a switch. I put a jumper on the front wheels thinking it was a poor connection. Wheels cleaned, new contact. What gives?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I just did the same for a Marx 0-4-2. One of the 4 driving wheels has a traction tire.No reverse unit, but when it hits the isolated track to throw the switch (self tending), it noticeably slows. The jumper was wire and soldered. It didn't help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It may be that the loco is losing power through the center sliding shoes losing contact momentarily as it traverses the switches. If you have a whistling tender, you can run a wire from the tender pickups to the locomotive. This will insure constant power to the locomotive as it travels through your switches.

Larry

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The center pickups have continuity to each other so they are both connected, I would like to keep it stock but like Larry said, I think I need to connect the tender up. Have done this on other engines and don't like to do it especially since these things have been working for 70+ years. Well maybe they did.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Make sure both slide pickups are making good contact. I just had a problem where one, with no visible issues, was intermittent causing problems. A slight adjustment (e.g., bending) made all the difference. - now a smooth running loco. I sighted each pickup from the side of the loco (upside down) to see the relationship between the pickup height vis-a-vis the wheel face's contact with the rail.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is the flanges on the wheels. The contacts and wheels are perfect on a straight piece but...on a 031 switch the wheels are lifted up where the plastic is. Modern locos don't have a huge flange like the 1689. I need to look at my 027 or vintage switches to see if those grooves are deeper. I think this along with a 70 year old e-unit make for a bad situation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that's it. Old trains, old switches, they go together. My old switches don't have that plastic piece that causes the wheels to rise.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have that problem with the newer Marx O-34 plastic switches. Decided to go with Gargraves for my wider radius loops. But loco's running on my Marx O-27 metal switches are smooth as silk. The early Marx design moves the rails. There's no frog at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts