Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to find out infor on my fathers train. I believe it is a 1936 400e blue comet. It has four original boxes and the transformer. The engine is broken at this time. Any info would be great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Wow ...

The 400E is one of Lionel's prized beauties. It's actually Standard Gauge, which is considerably larger than the more-common Lionel O gauge. Boxes are a huge bonus to value. You say you have "four boxes" ... so do you have a tender and cars, too?

The 400E was produced from 1931 to 1939, so your 1936 date fits this perfectly. Many were in black, though the two-tone blue versions are commonly tagged the Blue Comet, which was a real-life blue passenger train that ran for the Central Railroad of New Jersey in the 1930's. Its passengers cars were named after comets: Faye, Temple, Westphal.

You say the engine is broken. If it's servicable, I would suggest one of two things:

1. Leave it exactly as it is ... original condition, materials, fabric, etc. is key.

2. Have it restored professionally following TCA (Train Collector's Association) guidelines.

The engine and tender could be valued in the thousands. If its a full set, with cars, all in good condition, the value could be higher still.

So ...

PLEASE POST SOME PHOTOS ... WE WANT A PEEK!

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Follow tips/tricks on this how-to link:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=2595

You can either "attach" an image (little paper clip icon ... click on Go Advanced icon down below) and point to a filepath name on your local computer. We'll see a little image icon in the thread/post, but can click on it to see the actual photo.

Or, you can Insert an image (little moutain icon), in which case you'll have to cut-paste the actual URL address, assuming that the photo exists on a 'net-available computer.

WE WANNA SEE!!!

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Ohh ... if your original image is too big (# of pixels), you might have to downsize it first, before the forum will allow an Attach or Insert.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Absolutely stupendous!!!!!
I don't have my books but I believe that is O gage. They were made in both scales. I think that was the train purchased in the Sopranos HBO series.
I would suggest that you don't mess with it. GEt some bubble wrap. Use that for the interior of boxes too and keep them separate.

Some people have all the luck.:)

You can take some more pictures of the engine. all angles. Just don't scratch it up. Please!

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Uhhh ... nothin' much ... I guess I can offer $20 ... no, maybe $25 for it. (Dohh!)

Actually, some good news and some bad news ...

As best as I can tell, this is the "Baby" blue comet set in O gauge ... NOT the larger Standards gauge set. Still sought after by collectors, but not the big-kahuna like its 400E big brother.

The loco is likely a 263E with a 2263W tender, produced around 1936 to 1939. Still valuable, typically in the high hundreds for one on good condition. Yours is obviously missing quite a bit of the boiler front, cow catcher, front truck (front 4 small wheels), etc. Do you have those pieces? Hopefully, yes. If not, original parts for this loco can be purchased from reputable dealers, though it may take some hunting. Do you see a "263E" tag on the cab, just below the window?

Hopefully, the engine mechanics still run. But if not, repairs are quite possible. I'd hope that you would consider having this done. It'd be a shame to keep the loco in that disected condition.

The passenger cars appear to be in great shape. Looks like:

#613 Pullman
#614 Observation (with balcony)
#615 Baggage

A great trio, still together today.

I believe these all have latch-style couplers.

It's likely that the whole lot (loco, tender, cars) was bundled in the 194W Set that was offered in 1938 to 1939.

OK ... $40 ... that's my best offer :laugh:

TJ

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I am trying to find out infor on my fathers train. I believe it is a 1936 400e blue comet. It has four original boxes and the transformer. The engine is broken at this time. Any info would be great!
The tender and three Pullmans look great... IIRC the cowcatcher is actually part of the frame and not a screw on part, so the fact that it has been snapped off the locomotive does hurt the value...

TJ is right, that is an O scale 263E... His appears to have box-style couplers though, with some of the black covers missing...

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Here's a similar set (with one extra 613 car) in good condition that was recently listed on ebay for $795, but did NOT sell at that price. Condition means everything to collectors. Original boxes (which this ebay set did not have) add significant value, too. So, your price could be higher or lower. Hard to say.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PREWAR-LIONEL-TRAIN-263E-BLUE-COMET-4-cars_W0QQitemZ140395190714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item20b03499ba

As to where to get it repaired to proper standards ... try poking around the TCA site:

http://traincollectors.org/

You may find a member or two here on this forum who could help you, too. In all cases, ask LOTS of questions to ensure that the work would be tackled in very capable, experienced hands. You don't want to turn this one over to someone minimally qualified.

What's your name? How about a little background / introduction?

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Do you have all the pieces?

What do you want $200 for all?:rolleyes::D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts