Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful 1946 322 Hudson smoke in tender that recently restored to perfection. I had to rebuild the bellows in the smoke unit. It came out great. The unit smokes great however there is no choo choo sound. Does anyone know if this setup is supposed to have a choo choo sound or just the sound of the smoke unit motor running?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Should have choo choo sound. Check the small hole so it's not blocked, make sure there is the smoke linkage and piston, and also make sure no one has removed the spring steel piece of metal that creates the sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spring steel plate is present. I am not sure which position it should be in. There is an oval hole in the plate and on one side there is a bulge in the metal and the other side is flat. There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the chamber between the smoke wick and the spring steel. I will make sure that hole is not plugged. If it is the spring steel plate that makes the sound then the positioning of it must be incorrect but I am not sure. See attached pic.
IMG_20200806_155050738.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
That doesn't look right to me. The hole should be smaller.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the baffle and made the whole smaller using duct tape. Still no choo choo. How small should the hole be? The baffle seems to be original. The SIT did not appear to have any work done to it but who knows what can happen after 74 years

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I removed the baffle and made the whole smaller using duct tape. Still no choo choo. How small should the hole be? The baffle seems to be original. The SIT did not appear to have any work done to it but who knows what can happen after 74 years
Get a replacement baffle from Doug Peck..That hole should be approx 1/16"..Could be that the duct tape is too flexible. Just a stupid question, the smoke piston is in the smoke cylinder, right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which hose do you use the soft pliable one from Portland or the stiff vinyl hose. Lol!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
How is it going with the locomotive? I am no help. I do not own a SIT.

I think they may make a repair kit that replaces the bellows with a cylinder
and piston.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use the rubber hose from Portlines for my SIT.

Reactions: AFGP9

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes they do. my sit has it. the bellows been replaced when i bought it it had been replace. There is a you tube video on how to do it.

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts