Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm just getting serious about model railroading after having a 2026 set since I was a boy that sat in a box for decades I'm embarrassed to say. So now I am doing research, going to shows and expanding my set. I would like to build a layout that has two levels but the engines I currently have will not go up the slope. I added a 2033 with magnetraction thinking it would be able to go up but it does not have enough power. I do not have the slope that steep. Are there other engines that do better on slopes or do I need to have this one serviced?

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Usually, it is wise to stay within a maximum of a 2% grade. Most engines can easily handle that with a normal load. I would check the grade first.

I don't have you listed in the MTF Birthday Registry. Please post your birthday here if you would like us to recognize it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I believe a 2033 only has one motor. Most of FM Trainmasters like the 2321 Lackawanna and many of the F3s had dual motors. These would be among the best pullers.
If want traditional looking engines but don't require they be actual Lionel Post War, Williams makes excellent copies. Most all have dual DC motors with traction tires and have more power than the engines they are copied from.

Pete

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
How long is your grade from end to end? How high are you going in that distance? Is the train involved in a curve at any time it is traveling on this grade?

A modern loco with traction tires will pull well on a grade.
Modern rolling stock with needle point axles have no drag compared to older post war Lionel cars.

C

·
0 Posts
Either of those locos should be able to pull a short train up a reasonable grade. Your grade is probably steeper than you think. O gauge straight track sections are 10" long. 10 of them makes 100". A rise of 2" over that length of 10 sections is a 2% grade. If you are using O27 track the straights are only 8.875" long so a rise of 2" over 10 straight sections makes a 2.25% grade. If you were to climb 5" over 5 O gauge straight sections that would be a 10% grade. It may not look too steep but it is very steep. If you are using O27 track that same 5" climb over 5 sections is a whopping 11.25% grade. If you have curves as part of the grade that increases the drag by a lot. Check your grade to see how steep it is. You may be surprised.

T

·
0 Posts
If it's possible to use the product called Bull Frog Snot Liquid Traction Tires on your locomotives you might see a major improvement in traction. This isn't my strongest area of knowledge but someone else here may have experience with BFS on engines of your collection era. A lot of people swear by it.

Emile

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A lot of good answers here. Read closely and ask more questions and you'll get a lot more good advice. Welcome to the forum Bob and have fun. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all of you who replied! Great information! I am using old 027 tubular track so your information was especially useful Country Joe. Fortunately I am still in the planning stages so I can incorporated all this into it. Right now I just have the track on the basement floor experimenting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts