Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put some images on here could anyone tell me roughly what it might be worth?
20200801_114828.jpg

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No expert on prices but most of what you show looks like its in good or better shape. I would think around 250 bucks, maybe more. You would have to take close up pics that show condition better for a more accurate estimate.

Pete

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
You looking to sell?
What is the number on the Santa Fe's?
Like said more pictures would help, take one of the inside of the battery compartment on the Santa Fe too.
List the numbers off the boxes, for each one with the item sitting up.
All sides would be better too.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
Sell the 671 loco separately. It should fetch $100+ by itself.
Depending on what one he has, and the tender. Those prices are all over the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Depending on what one he has, and the tender. Those prices are all over the spectrum.
Agreed. But times have changed. Those into trains, retired and financially stable have been hold up indoors. I've noticed that since the pandemic started, prices on prewar have risen with few "steals" or bargains.

And his 671 looks pristine and has the whistle tender with two rollers. I meant to say sell the 671 & tender together apart from the set. Given what I see in the pic, it could go for $200. Neither of the two sold today are in as good condition as the Sethwp pic suggests.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
The 671 hardly looks like it was run, the tenders body looks like it has the mold problem,but the chassis and wheels look good.
All the items look in great shape from what I can see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have outfit number 2127WS from 1947, which consisted of: 671 steam turbine engine, 671W whistling coal tender, 3459 operating ore car, 2461 transformer car, 2460 crane, and 2420 work caboose with search light. Looks like you have boxes in various condition for all of those except the tender, as I don't see that in the picture. If you have the original set box, it would enhance the desirability and value of the group significantly. Without the set box, you generally will get more money selling the items individually.

The other items are later ranging from 1948 to mid-1955. The 2456 hopper car is from 1948. The 3656 operating cattle car is from 1949-55 and would have had a corral and plastic cows. The 3472 was offered 1949-53 and would have come with a platform and milk cans. I see yours is missing the doors on one side. I believe your Sata Fe F3 power/dummy set is a 2353 based on the heat stamped GM herald on the sides, and was offered 1953-55. The TW transformer is later (1953-60).

As far as values, condition and completeness are the key. Where you offer an item for sale is also important. Selling at a train swap meet, e-bay, or to a collector who wants the items for his/her collection will give you the highest price. Selling to a dealer or someone who is looking to re-sell the items will be lower (usually no more than 50% of retail). The 2353 Santa Fe set with original boxes is your most valuable item. Next is the 671 steam engine, then the cars from the 1947 set. To get a more accurate idea of value, better pictures of each item would be needed, or take everything to a hobby or train shop near you that buys old trains. From what I can see, I'd estimate I would pay around $500 for the lot of what you have if it were offered for sale at a local swap meet, and assuming the condition from what I can see in the pictures. The items may be in better or worse condition than what I can see, which would affect value, so what I'm giving you is just an estimate.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
From what I can see, I'd estimate I would pay around $500 for the lot of what you have if it were offered for sale at a local swap meet, and assuming the condition from what I can see in the pictures. The items may be in better or worse condition than what I can see, which would affect value, so what I'm giving you is just an estimate.
And from what I see that would be a good deal, i was thinking in the same ball park.
Those Santa Fe's would fetch a good buck alone. Not to mention all the others which seem to be in great shape except the tender.
Plus the boxes.

But I guess the OP does not care to LOG on and comment one way or the other. We need more and better pictures of all sides.
A little discussion would be best too?
Must just be one of those ask and run threads? :rolleyes:

But with the new format no one needs to log on, they can see EVERYTHING without logging on.😲

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I put some images on here could anyone tell me roughly what it might be worth? View attachment 545584 View attachment 545584
If I put some images on here could anyone tell me roughly what it might be worth? View attachment 545584 View attachment 545584
There are some nice pieces here, but the scuttlebutt about selling that stands true is, "They are worth what someone is willing to pay". If you want a fast sale, somewhere between $200 or more sounds about right (BTW, do you also possess the Santa Fe "dummy" A unit? It looks the same as the one pictured, but is without motors, but has a removable plate underneath that can house a "D" cell battery to blow the horn, and that would certainly up your $); if you list the items separately, you are more likely to end up in the $300 + or over; but don't underestimate the time, materials, and trips to and from the post office (is your time worth anything, also?) as salient factors as a seller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts