Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I saw a post in 2010 on the sound of steam boards. a few of you were posting about resistors and if there is actual sound from the speaker, all you need is to change out the resistor where the smoke unit is? that would be great if that is all it is. I have a bunch of these, all have issues.

what is the final fix for these? what do I need to replace and where do you purchase the resistors? Is there anything else that you need to do to make the sound of steam work like new?

Is there anybody out there making new boards with the same transistors to reproduce this old sound? It would be really cool to get new boards for all these things.

thanks a bunch
Chris

·
Admin
43,838 Posts
Those boards are all self-contained, and the only thing in the locomotive is a contact that supplies power to the board. I'd be more likely to suspect the old capacitors on the board itself than resistors or transistors. I've worked on a couple, and all of them had issues with the board. One simply had a broken wire between the loco and the tender.

Here's the thread in question: http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?p=37924&highlight=sound+steam#post37924

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
A "sound of steam"article can be found in paper back by Peter Thorne, Model Railroad Electronics ( Basic Concepts to Advanced Projects). A blue cover published in 1994 page 71. He wrote four in all. Currently at Amazon for 8 bucks used.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,608 Posts
These units operate on AC and they are durable. I can still find them at train shows. I do have one but have not had it running on the track. I would be intersted in seeing the locomotive end on how it connects up. I know it has to do with the smoke lever. I never figured out where to locate the resistor in the engine. Pictures would be great.

In review, do a tag seach on sound of steam . AT least two good threads will show up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would be cool to convert the old engines that I have to a modern MTH sound. for those who know the electronics, is that even a possible thing? I like my old 70's crescent limited, but the sound is soft.

·
Admin
43,838 Posts
It would be easier to convert them to Lionel sound, the kits are readily available. You can get an ERR RailSounds Commander for $85 from Modern Toy Train Parts. AFAIK, the MTH conversion is the full PS/2 conversion, and that's considerably more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts