Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I headed in the garage this weekend to work on both the truck and cleanup. I was able to clean up a good amount of my mess to get a good look at what size table I can get up in the air.

As mentioned above, while I was up in the ceiling area moving the lights around I got a good look at all the dust that had collected up there. Its going to be a huge issue. So now I am stuck. First option will be to convince the wife to let me build it inside the guest room but that will definitely reduce the size for sure. 2nd would be to go get a quote for a Plexiglas cover but that means to save cost id have to reduce the amount of stuff to include in the build like landscape and stuff.

Before I got up there with all my dust I drew a little mock up of the space I would have when it was lowered.

I also mounted these blue containers my wife brought home for me when her office closed down at the beginning of the pandemic. I thought they would be perfect for materials during the build. Although now this idea might have to change as well haha.

Well, back to the drawing board I guess would be an appropriate way to end tonight.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe a cheaper, but less fancy option would be to just use sheet plastic to drape over it when not in use? Not elegant, but should be effective. You could build some standoffs into the layout so the plastic doesn't touch trees etc and cause damage. Leave a few inches at the edge of the board and clamp the plastic down when it's in storage mode.

Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
So, the 68 inches, from the garage door, allows for where the door is going to be, when it is up? or are we not using the garage door any longer?

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Maybe a cheaper, but less fancy option would be to just use sheet plastic to drape over it when not in use? Not elegant, but should be effective. You could build some standoffs into the layout so the plastic doesn't touch trees etc and cause damage. Leave a few inches at the edge of the board and clamp the plastic down when it's in storage mode.

Just an idea.

A good affordable option. Im not worried about looks. Just function!

Is your garage climate controlled?
No it is not, but the only non insulated wall is the door itself, so it stays a fairly regular temperature. I was actually thinking of adding insulating tiles to the garage door for hot summer days but never did it. I never even looked into the cost, since its not my house. We are renting from family so its not like we would have to leave anytime soon. Just never looked into it.

So, the 68 inches, from the garage door, allows for where the door is going to be, when it is up? or are we not using the garage door any longer?
That measurement is from the end of my current work bench to the garage door when closed. That area is generally where my son has his little crafts table for painting and making things. Its currently occupied by new wheels for the truck, a pressure washer and some wood scraps haha. Point is, I will have 360 degree access to the table.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I hate to be the wet noodle, but...

Being a woodworker you know that, no matter what you do for dust abatement, it gets everywhere anyway. If your layout is nothing more than track on baseboard I guess you could hose it off with compressed air, but with structures, trees, ground cover, etc. that's not really an option. And all of your locos and rolling stock will need to be removed from the dust zone when you are making dust.
Stumpy;

You're half right. My layout shares a garage with lots of power tools, including a table saw, and they do produce clouds of dust. Despite the presence of dust collecting shop-vacs connected to each power tool, yes the dust that escapes gets everywhere. However, I can hose the layout off with compressed air and not uproot trees or ground cover, let alone structures. The first two are glued in place, and the structures are screwed down with the screw heads covered with glued on ground cover. I take photos of the screws with them painted bright orange before the ground cover goes over them, so I can find the screw heads later. (see last two photos)
The OP is making a layout that hoists up below the ceiling of his garage. He would have to be nuts to leave any rolling stock on the layout while hoisting, or perhaps even when woodworking, though covering his 4 x 8 layout with a tarp would keep the dust off it.

Traction Fan

James;

You might adapt the "Cassete" idea used by some British modelers. A model railroad Cassete is a small "railyard" consisting of parallel tracks on a piece of wood. It is butted up to a "feeder" track that goes off the end of the main layout. A locomotive backs a string of cars onto one track of the cassette and uncouples from them. The loco then goes in search of more cars, and the Cassete is shifted over one notch so that an empty track on the Cassete lines up with the feeder track. This operation is repeated until all cars and locomotives are off the layout. Some modelers have used a variation of this scheme, employing a metal shelf cart with a model of a car ferry on top. The ferry "comes into port" (with a manual push of the cart) docks at a loading ramp, and the cars are pushed onto the ferry. The cart can be wheeled outside, or covered when woodworking is in progress.

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Stumpy;

You're half right. My layout shares a garage with lots of power tools, including a table saw, and they do produce clouds of dust. Despite the presence of dust collecting shop-vacs connected to each power tool, yes the dust that escapes gets everywhere. However, I can hose the layout off with compressed air and not uproot trees or ground cover, let alone structures. The first two are glued in place, and the structures are screwed down with the screw heads covered with glued on ground cover. I take photos of the screws with them painted bright orange before the ground cover goes over them. The OP is making a layout that hoists up below the ceiling of his garage. He would have to be nuts to leave any rolling stock on the layout while hoisting, or perhaps when woodworking, though covering his 4 x 8 layout with a tarp would keep the dust off it.

Traction Fan

James;

You might adapt the "Cassete" idea used by some British modelers. A model railroad Cassete is a small "railyard" consisting of parallel tracks on a piece of wood. It is butted up to a "feeder" track that goes off the end of the main layout. A locomotive backs a string of cars onto one track of the cassette and uncouples from them. The loco then goes in search of more cars, and the Cassete is shifted over one notch so that an empty track on the Cassete lines up with the feeder track. This operation is repeated until all cars and locomotives are off the layout. Some modelers have used a variation of this scheme, employing a metal shelf cart with a model of a car ferry on top. The ferry "comes into port" (with a manual push of the cart) docks at a loading ramp, and the cars are pushed onto the ferry. The cart can be wheeled outside, or covered when woodworking is in progress.

Traction Fan
interesting Idea.. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Stumpy;

You're half right. My layout shares a garage with lots of power tools, including a table saw, and they do produce clouds of dust. Despite the presence of dust collecting shop-vacs connected to each power tool, yes the dust that escapes gets everywhere. However, I can hose the layout off with compressed air and not uproot trees or ground cover, let alone structures. The first two are glued in place, and the structures are screwed down with the screw heads covered with glued on ground cover. I take photos of the screws with them painted bright orange before the ground cover goes over them. The OP is making a layout that hoists up below the ceiling of his garage. He would have to be nuts to leave any rolling stock on the layout while hoisting, or perhaps when woodworking, though covering his 4 x 8 layout with a tarp would keep the dust off it.

Traction Fan

James;

Traction Fan
The rail yard is called a 'fiddle yard' in the local terminology. The cassette is the actual sliding part of the operation for the assembled trains.

Reactions: Project510

·
Registered
619 Posts
The thought crossed my mind to use PVC as a frame or frame sections to set over the layout to hold some kind of cover over the layout.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
A frame made from 1/2" or greater PVC pipe with 8-12" legs attached at the corners and a few in the middle with a cross member should do the trick with 6 mil plastic sheet over the top.

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The thought crossed my mind to use PVC as a frame or frame sections to set over the layout to hold some kind of cover over the layout.
A frame made from 1/2" or greater PVC pipe with 8-12" legs attached at the corners and a few in the middle with a cross member should do the trick with 6 mil plastic sheet over the top.
This was actually an idea I thought of. Adding small posts to the corners of the actual table so it can just be dropped on and off easily. Cheap. Effective I think.

Also, while brainstorming in the garage last night I took some additional photos of this area that is right above the door. For whatever reason its separated by a beam of some sort. That could help block the dust. It would make the hand winch a bit more difficult but not impossible. Also would limit work space since its right up tot he garage door. The benefit would be a 4x8 or longer would easily fit here.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
This was actually an idea I thought of. Adding small posts to the corners of the actual table so it can just be dropped on and off easily. Cheap. Effective I think.

Also, while brainstorming in the garage last night I took some additional photos of this area that is right above the door. For whatever reason its separated by a beam of some sort. That could help block the dust. It would make the hand winch a bit more difficult but not impossible. Also would limit work space since its right up tot he garage door. The benefit would be a 4x8 or longer would easily fit here.

That looks like a good spot to recess your layout completely.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Have not quite worked out a spot for this table yet. I really like this space at the end of the garage separated by the supporting beam. I went to measure out a 4x8 foot space and realized I had forgotten about a critical issue. The garage door mechanism is in the way. So the space that is actually available is 42x72 inches.

I could drop the table lower to get the full 96 inches but then it would be below the the beam which would provide a lot of protection from dust.
We have an absolute perfect space inside the house for an L shaped table but it is currently occupied by a couch. The space is in the boys playroom so the count isn't really used unless we were to have multiple guests sleep over as it turns into a full size bed. Im gonna bring it up to the wife but that has about a 10% chance of success convincing her.

In the meantime, Ive been looking at really simple layouts that will fit our 42x72 space. What I think might happen is when she sees how much the kid loves it, shell let us expand and then we can move into the house. Or, I just build as lightweight a cover as possible and we do it in my original position over the work bench/table.

I also still have not read all of Traction Fans PDf's. unfortunately I've been bringing too much work home with me from the office. I plan to get started on those tonight so I can learn how these things operate, what i will need etc.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Have not quite worked out a spot for this table yet. I really like this space at the end of the garage separated by the supporting beam. I went to measure out a 4x8 foot space and realized I had forgotten about a critical issue. The garage door mechanism is in the way. So the space that is actually available is 42x72 inches.

I could drop the table lower to get the full 96 inches but then it would be below the the beam which would provide a lot of protection from dust.
We have an absolute perfect space inside the house for an L shaped table but it is currently occupied by a couch. The space is in the boys playroom so the count isn't really used unless we were to have multiple guests sleep over as it turns into a full size bed. Im gonna bring it up to the wife but that has about a 10% chance of success convincing her.

In the meantime, Ive been looking at really simple layouts that will fit our 42x72 space. What I think might happen is when she sees how much the kid loves it, shell let us expand and then we can move into the house. Or, I just build as lightweight a cover as possible and we do it in my original position over the work bench/table.

I also still have not read all of Traction Fans PDf's. unfortunately I've been bringing too much work home with me from the office. I plan to get started on those tonight so I can learn how these things operate, what i will need etc.
project510;

You're not alone in overlooking something that looks obvious after the fact. I've done things like that many times! :rolleyes: Since you're using N-scale, six feet of layout length will be adequate, at least for now. The 42" width is actually generous by N-scale standards. Many N-scale layout have been built on hollow-core doors that are 32"-36" wide and 68" long.
It might be physically possible to have a layout that rolls under the couch, or one that is built over it, with the option of pulling the couch out from the wall a bit. In this case, the narrow shelf concept that I recommend in my PDF files would be a good choice. It might be possible for both the couch, an a shelf layout, to both be in the boy's room simultaneously. All this is physically possible.
Politically possible is a whole other can of worms, (all of them female and menopausal!) :mad:** she who must be obeyed.

Good Luck. I suspect you'll need it.

Traction Fan :)

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for the laugh, haha. Good to know the size is ok for now. Once I read all the beginner stuff we can move to layouts!

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
An update but not really an update. I am still trying to convince the wife to let us put this thing inside. Its most likely going in the garage in the space mentioned jsut above ^^ but well try again for inside.

In other news, we have acquired our very first piece or accessory for the track thanks to Shaygetz!

If I can find the other characters in something close to this scale I think recreating "Radiator Springs" the cutest little town in carburetor county would make my son loose his mind haha.
Ill just have to add a bridge because he is obsessed with suspension bridges. Specifically the Golden Gate lol.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
An update but not really an update. I am still trying to convince the wife to let us put this thing inside. Its most likely going in the garage in the space mentioned jsut above ^^ but well try again for inside.

In other news, we have acquired our very first piece or accessory for the track thanks to Shaygetz!

If I can find the other characters in something close to this scale I think recreating "Radiator Springs" the cutest little town in carburetor county would make my son loose his mind haha.
Ill just have to add a bridge because he is obsessed with suspension bridges. Specifically the Golden Gate lol.

Not that realism would matter in "Radiator Springs", but suspension bridges very rarely carry railroads. Sometimes a subway, or rapid transit system may share a bridge with a roadway, but 99% of all suspension bridges, (other than the Indiana Jones rope & plank pedestrian type) are for cars only. For that reason, a model of a suspension bridge may be hard to find in model railroad supply channels. Also, an N-scale model of the Golden Gate bridge would be over sixty real feet long, which might make it a tight fit in your garage! o_O It looks like you might get an early, and quite challenging, introduction to the fun of scratchbuilding!

None of that should mater a bit to your son, since "Cars" is his favorite movie! (BTW, my 6-year-old grandson loves that movie too!) "Lightning McQueen" and "mayter" should be able to drive across any bridge you end up with.

Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yea the bridge would be for cars only not the train. I spent all this weekend building a cardboard Golden Gate Bridge for his Hotwheels.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Check thingyverse and shapeways. I'm sure there are some 3d file out there you can have printed to your scale. If you find a file and need help scaling it I might be able to help you out there. Sounds like a cool project! My son is into jurassic park, so we are doing that for a theme and I have printed a good amount for it.

·
Premium Member
None yet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Check thingyverse and shapeways. I'm sure there are some 3d file out there you can have printed to your scale. If you find a file and need help scaling it I might be able to help you out there. Sounds like a cool project! My son is into jurassic park, so we are doing that for a theme and I have printed a good amount for it.

Cool, I will check that out thank you!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts