Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have ganged a few but I want to run three trains at once so didn't think that an option.

Labeled the switches this morning but close attention is required until I learn this thing. Don't really want head-ons at intersections. A total of four reverse loops helps keep things exciting. Ran a Rivarossi light pacific and a Bachmann Spectrum K4 Pacific in opposite directions without incident.

Knocked together another display and loaded it with bottom fed locos from ebay.

Still, lots to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Yup, that oughta keep them brains cells stimulated!

·
Registered
559 Posts
nice stuff...
hey question...
who makes that top row Pennsylvania loco and passenger cars? I think I have that same one and no clue...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice stuff...
hey question...
who makes that top row Pennsylvania loco and passenger cars? I think I have that same one and no clue...
All Rivarossi, the E8 and the cars.

BL2 is Proto 2000 and the cars are BevBel Athearn. Almost everything else is AHM/Rivarossi with some Roundhouse thrown in.

·
Registered
496 Posts
"Hang on to your hat, Vern! We may not be back this way."
Nice layout!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Good progress so far. I really want to see this with scenery. Please keep posting photos.

How many unattended trains can you run at once?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good progress so far. I really want to see this with scenery. Please keep posting photos.

How many unattended trains can you run at once?
Three, but the third one would be tight. Other two can get lost on 3 different blocks but you have to pay attention.

I'm am trying to figure out a plan for landscaping. I have commercial trees and bushes, but natural areas confuse me. Plaster of Paris, foam, wet paper mache. Don't know. Have to research.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That’s awfully involved. Dcc on that would be a P.I.T.A. HAHAHAHA I would be super confused trying to run more than 1 train on that layout! Lots of rail to run on though!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Very interesting layout and beautiful room!
My train cave has a dresser in it as well, but the room is much smaller.
Like the others, I would not even attempt to operate a layout like that, but would love to see it. Maybe you could post a video sometime?
Great job!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a matter of timing and throwing the block and turnout switches at the proper time. Two trains, not a problem as long as the consist is just a few cars. I imagine there are quite a few here that run something similar.

My goal is to get one train running on the outer loop then run the other on the two inner loops reversing direction on the figure 8 then at the proper time switch engines to the formers track then bring both back to the starting point only pointing in opposite directions.

I think it would be pretty easy, but adding a third engine would surely complicate things.

Acuminating materials to landscape it, but I'm not a creative or artistic person so don't expect much. Still have to fill in those gaps with ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
DC operations can keep you very busy. I had a simple dog leg layout with two cabs so I could run two trains on the dog leg or one on the dog leg while working one of the two yards. This was about the time that CTC (I think that's the right acronym) started up and that's what I was looking at when away to college. Didn't do much for about 20 years which brought on DCC, so when I got back into it (Being an Electrical Engineer) DCC was an easy choice. But I was more fascinated by the electronics, with out that consideration DC ops has fascination of its own! Keep up the pictures and dialog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts