Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for you Tom, a recent purchase at the Wilmington Show.

The motor is running but I have to deal with a missing gear first to get it on the track. The frames are in good condition with no battery corrosion. The rollers are not very worn, and the shells have a mold problem. The corrosion is only surface with no pits or degradation. It was stored in a damp place. The shells do have the hump.

IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Yes............just a little TLC. Ha Ha Ha
You find that in the Ocean or a pond. :p
Looks worse then my Hurricane Sandy save. :D

Go T Go T.:appl:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMG_0529.JPG

I disassembled the trucks The sides I washed with soap and water then used a wired wheel to clean them up.

IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

I oiled the trucks and freed up the axles to like new condition.

IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes............just a little TLC. Ha Ha Ha
You find that in the Ocean or a pond. :p
Looks worse then my Hurricane Sandy save. :D

Go T Go T.:appl:
It looks bad but it is all surface . The wire brush will clean it up. The frames are in good condition. The truck sides have cleaned up really nice. The dummy is next. I may paint the shells but that will be later. This is second 2023 I could not pass this one up.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
While you have the truck bolsters off I would hit them with a light coat of primer and respray them black.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are cleaning up so well they will not need it. The original color of the metal is much more appealing to me. I would paint if they had pit and corrosion damage, I am working with a new camera and it does not like the LED overhead I rarely paint any trucks lately and go to bluing. Hopefully I can get a few good pictures to show it..

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you get that engine cleaned up & running it will give you a lot of satisfaction. :thumbsup:
It was so ugly I could not pass it up! It was the same table I got the 221 last year.

You are right, they are great runners.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The clean side

So far I repainted the frames and assembled three of the trucks. I learned that the side gears, the pinion all three are the same. I am missing one. The light sockets were redone. One roller set was cleaned the other needs springs.

IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
That's cleaned up nicely so far. Good work.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cold outside for painting. How do you paint inside, air brush?
I painted outside in 40 degree weather and left them out for one hour. The dry air did the job. When inside they cured ok. The Krylon really has fumes when drying so the time outside did the trick. If I brought them inside like in colder weather I go with a fan in the window set for exhaust. I did use a primer in three hours the finish coat. I used rattle cans.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I painted outside in 40 degree weather and left them out for one hour. The dry air did the job. When inside they cured ok. The Krylon really has fumes when drying so the time outside did the trick. If I brought them inside like in colder weather I go with a fan in the window set for exhaust. I did use a primer in three hours the finish coat. I used rattle cans.
Another painting hack. I've never used Krylon but some swear by it compared to Rustoleum. From what I gleamed here, its thinner, thus easier to get a consistent coat.

Maybe you saw my post a few weeks ago: prepare everything inside nice and warm with a portable work bench setup outside. Shake the rattle can then move the piece outside, spray and bring it right back in to dry. I never noticed fumes from the Rustoleum while drying indoors. But noticing that is not my forte (smoker).

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Looking good T , i know it will look good. And im sure you would strighten the humps if you really wanted to! Lol.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need a parts order next. It has been better than expected.

The paint fumes have to do with the aluminum color. It is just more noticeable. That is my theory.

In colder weather I preheat metal object prior to painting. The expanding paint from a can cools it very quickly.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
The trucks did clean up nicely. :thumbsup:
Is it just from cleaning or did you blue them?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Surface cleaning was all they needed. The side pieces were the worst. Today I checked the motor. It was well oiled with some old grease. So it is cleaned up now and has a good spin.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As time passes I looked at the shells and decided to strip. The first shell was easy, the second was harder. The sides were painted black. Any way the black became brittle so I used an Xacto knife to scrap it off. The silver paint was left.

I also wanted to show that a plastic body can be stripped. The process is easy off and a freezer bag to hold the item.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I went crazy with painting today. I started to stripe the shells with black. The tape width was right on for the sides so I kept going.

Taping the lines was easy. The roof was sealed from the side spraying, One piece of tape covered the center section between the two lines (top and bottom). The center line was done after. WIth all the tape there was minor damage to the paint. I had to try it. The tape used was the blue masking tape.

I had a few lifts from the tape. It needs more dry time. I like the nickel color but it is a textured finish that I have to live with. I thought the aluminum was too much. I used this color on the frames where the texture was less noticeable. The smoke gray came out great.

I also lined the frames with a black stripe. They are drying now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts