Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SInce John is rehabbing a 2026, I found some time and pieced this thread together. As I said before the 2026 has been a favorite of mine being one of the first cast engines I collected. It also needed parts. It was missing a steamchest, I originally found a broken one, but did replaced it for a good one over the years I have had it.

Left to right, 2026.2016,two 2018's,2036,two 1666's and two 224's. I didn't even bother with the tenders.

First of all, the 2026 is a six wheel drive engine. The common arraignment is 2-6-4. It is heavy being cast but some have the opinion of disliking the single front axle. It is prone to derailment on switches. A common fix is to replace it with a two axle truck. Adding weight and adjusting more spring tension help too. My 2026 does not have magnetration some variations do. From the picture the 2026,2016,2018,2036 are very much alike in appearance. They have the same shell. There may be more but their number slipped my mind.

Finally the 2036 has larger center wheels causing it to rock and roll down the track. This was a company mistake that causes a frequent derailment.

My Xmas car repainted on a 2018 shell with a 224 steamchest and a 1666 motor numbered 2412(Xmas eve), Xmas tender link,gallery picture.

The 2126 ,2016, 2018 in the first picture. The Two 2018's and the 2036 to the top right.

Another thing is the 2026 and the 2018 came with smoke. Most of these did, I just can't remember the exceptions.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tidbit

In the past ,TJ you have been curious about these engines. Another reason to show them. Actually, it is their first picture together.

Another tidbit, it was the 2026, that was painted blue for the boys and pink for girls. These sets t came out in the 50's and are collectable..

So John you can paint it pink! and be correct.:D

ED, there is epoxy on the 2016 holding the lock pin in.

I bought that one on e bay for parts but the engine ran so nice I kept it compete. The pin was added after I removed the drywall screw.:eek: Some people.:(

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I keep it in the parts box "just in case".:)

Some cold facts on the 2036, I got the straight edge out to show the oversized center wheel. Without it you could not see the difference.

The bottom touching, the gap.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1666 and 224

I aways thought the 224 was "the Boss" for the 6 wheel drive engines. The big difference being the Baldwin drive wheels. The 224 and the 1666 preceeded the 2026 and others.

Two 1666's and two 224's

Both have the same rod drives, as you can see they differ from the 2026 in the second picture. Also they are revese drive with the e unit in front, the 2026 has it in back. You can the Baldwin wheels the 166 has the prewar slides and the 224 has twp rolers on spring levers.

Both are also sporting the large rear single axle, I really like this look.
Shell wise, the domes are different fron the 2026 but the cabs are identical.
The 2026 is on the left, remmeber the e unit position.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steam

Running out of steam the motors have a slight difference. The 1666 and the 2026 have cans, while the 2026 has a flat metal holder.

The last difference is the steamchest.
The 2026 style and the 224.
Note I did fit a 224 steamchest on a 2018 shell with a little dremel grinding. However, I don't think a smoke unit will work with it

This is on a 1666 showing a fake coupler.

The catalogs have all the information but I just wanted to show some major differences and really there is not much of a difference. This comparison will acquaint you with what is out there.

Also in the 2026 class very few had railings, mostly done in the early years, I added this feature to all of them.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not a fan of the current policies on editing.
Trying to put out information 100 % correct the first time is impossible for me.
I love passing on information.The only thing I can add is the 2026 does have magnetraction. Another reason to add the axle front is the single axle never existed in the real deal. If you are into prototyping switch the front truck out.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,415 Posts
I am not a fan of the current policies on editing.
Trying to put out information 100 % correct the first time is impossible for me.
I love passing on information.The only thing I can add is the 2026 does have magnetraction. Another reason to add the axle front is the single axle never existed in the real deal. If you are into prototyping switch the front truck out.
I am with you on the current editing too T.

I will help you a little on all of your "cousins"?:confused::D

T-Man Scout Troop
My collection is all over this forum.:eek:hwell:

Scout thread
I will start with my Scout Troop.

Left to right
246 -plastic shell
250 plastic
239 cast
1060 plastic shell-engine in shop
1061 plastic
1062 plastic

1130 plastic
2034 cast
8604 cast
8632 cast
8903 plastic

troop Lionel Scout.jpg

Edit,
Let me know I will delete it if you don't want them here.
Quick the clock is ticking.:D

·
Admin
43,511 Posts
I agree with T-Man, the policies on editing are usually for different kinds of forums where a discussion takes a total turn on an edit. For stuff like is being discussed here, it makes little sense.

I will point out that another train forum, the OGR forum allows edits for the life of the post.

·
Registered
292 Posts
T-Man, You may have already answered this in a post, but is the 224 the only Lionel steamer that featured Baldwin drivers? They're neat looking and would look good on my 2018 for instance. But could a savvy steamer mechanic (not me) change them to another locomotive, or is that practical to do? Or is a boiler shell swap doable? Just curious, not contemplating anything. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts